Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 02:02 PM

Default I am a calling station

First hand at the table. Hero has 76[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB.

2+2er UTG raises, awful LAG MP calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop (8 SB): Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)

Hero checks, 2+2er UTG bets, awful LAG MP calls, Button calls, Hero raises, 2+2er UTG 3-bets, awful LAG MP calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn (9 BB): 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, 2+2er bets, LAG raises, Hero calls, 2+2er calls.

River (15 BB): T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, 2+2er bets, LAG raises, Hero calls, 2+2er 3-bets, LAG calls, Hero calls.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: I am a calling station

If villain wasn't a 2+2er, I'd say cap the river. As you played the hand, it's impossible to put you on anything but a flush, but he still 3bet the river. Do you think he knew you were a 2+2er as well? I'm thinking this hand was perfect.

Edit: I misread the hand thinking hero was the one to c/r the river. However, his action may still be correct. See below.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:13 PM

i'd cap the river (i wouldn't 3-bet the first time it came to me though)

edit: i take this back. i thought this thing was 3-handed to begin with, which in my mind made it less likely for UTG to pump a flush draw out of position. if he didn't have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] i don't like his play.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:14 PM

It seems all right to me, really.

A flop cap is an option, and I probably wouldn't have been able to resist (you should have an equity edge, at that point), but capping then could cut down on your action on later streets when you actually improve. (Also, capping the flop and then checking the turn is a little awkward, though it's what I would have done if I did cap the flop.)

On the river, I'm tempted to check/3-bet. But the 2+2er might fold if you do that, so unless the LAG is going to cap after such a show of strength on your part, a 3-bet often won't gain you anything anyway when you're best.

After that, I'm tempted to cap, figuring there's a good chance I'm best more than a third of the time. But the 2+2er's river 3-bet is a bit of a concern, I think. Edit: Your hand is about as well disguised as it can be under the circumstances though (given that you didn't check/3-bet), but this becomes less true if the 2+2er knows who you are.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd cap the river

[/ QUOTE ]

meee tooo
Old 10-27-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd cap the river (i wouldn't 3-bet the first time it came to me though)

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap. I misread the action. I thought hero c/r'd and villain 3bet him. This is the superior plan.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:21 PM

i don't know. i think i would just call.

if the LAG had shown any aggression on the flop and UTG still led into him on the turn, then i'd be capping this river. but i probably wouldn't be able to cap it.

too often, UTG played a flush draw in an odd way purposely (by betting the turn) in order to get more bets on the river. don't give him the last bet.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 PM

I think, yes the river call is bad but I think that maybe a re-raise may be okay when it gets back to you on the river. The LAG might have trips, 2 pair or even worse. You may get 2+2er to laydown a better flush but the only flush he would lay down would be J9s. Right now you gotta think you have the best hand so if you're right and reraise 2+2er will fold and LAG will call so you gain 1 more bet. If you are now reraised by the 2+2er you can safely fold. If you just call you may or may not gain 1 more bet from 2+2er but you will probably lose an extra one when you're behind and you make a crying call (as in this case).
Old 10-27-2005, 02:26 PM

If any 2+2er would fold a flush in this situation, speak now. You're in dire need of getting smacked around by this forum.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If villain wasn't a 2+2er, I'd say cap the river. As you played the hand, it's impossible to put you on anything but a flush, but he still 3bet the river. Do you think he knew you were a 2+2er as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain definitely knew i was a 2+2er, since he arrived in the same car as me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking this hand was perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I'm gonna be all afterglow-y for the rest of the day. Thanks, Wookie.