Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2003, 04:28 PM

Default Limp Re-raising

As someone who has been playing hold em for about 2.5 years, I have mostly concentrated on learning/playing "solid" poker without getting too fancy. Thus, I have always raised AA and KK. I've been reading that limp reraising with these hands in early positions can add to your hourly win rate, but I was curious as to some of the following:

Which hands would you do this with and how far away from UTG would you go?
(and obviously a loose-passive game isn't going to be a situation where you'd want to do this).

Is there a post or site that has some analysis (mathematical would be good) on this that you think would be good reading on this topic?

It would seem to me that by limp re-raising, you're going to give away your hand moreso than 4-betting if you are 3-bet.

Dante
Old 06-09-2003, 04:34 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Limp Re-raising

http://www.posev.com/poker/holdem/st...lop-abdul.html
Old 06-09-2003, 05:08 PM

So you can recommend doing most of those? (i.e. in a tight game, limp-reraising ATs and AJs in a tight game, limp reraising TT in a loose agressive game. I guess I wasn't clear in my original post - I've read that link before, does that style work for people (i.e. translate into winning more money)? If not, what does? Or have people found it just better to raise with AA, KK, QQ, etc...
Old 06-09-2003, 06:05 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i cannot recommend it, i can only recommend you take it into consideration [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] unless your opponents are heads of cabbage, they'll take note of your limp-reraising aa/kk exclusively unless you balance in a lot of other hands. whether or not this is profitable, i cannot certainly say, as i don't have the records for it. it can be noted that abdul is one of the most respected players in the poker community. he has also studied/advocated always opening with a raise preflop.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:36 PM

I got my first UTG limp-reraise with JJ in the other night. That darn Button called two cold with 7c4c and then called my 3-bet. How did he know he was gong to make a straight flush?
Old 06-09-2003, 07:36 PM

I have found that limp re-raising is most effective when dealing with loose-aggressive players who will often isolate your early or early MP limps with all kinds of trash. I don't try to LRR in games where my EP raises get lots of action.

I usually (but not always) follow the standard advice regarding re-raising the multi-way pots and trapping with AA or KK when I am heads-up with the player who isolated me.

While limp re-raising does make a bold staement about your hand to the other players, I don't think this hurts your profits. You are still gaining deception when you just call a raise heads-up and you still collect many extra bets pre-flop from people who would not have otherwise entered the pot when you LRR in a multi-way pot. Furthermore, while many of your opponents may put you on AA or KK, the size of the pot will often cloud their decision-making and drive them to make bad calls. Lastly, limp re-raising will make the loose-aggressives think twice about messing with you when you limp. (Not that I think it's wise to open-limp all that often.)

-WhiteBoy

P.S. I don't think you need to LRR with hands other than AA or KK all that often to throw people off. Obviously it would be better to throw in a LRR with other hands against players that you can better control.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:01 PM

I never LRR with big pairs. I simply don't want to take the chance that I'll let the BB flop two pair with his rags when he would have folded.

That said, I could see LRR with big suited connectors (KQs, QJs) when everyone's already tied into the pot.