Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Schumer, Leahy, Boxer, Pelosi, Reid in Unison Budget Deficit Too High

Do you think these folks will be proposing lots of spending cuts? I don't. Do you think these folks will be proposing income tax increases? I do.

Before we get the usual "they only want to raise taxes on the rich" response, let's define rich and then let's actually have a break down about which income groups pay what percentage of income taxes. After that let's quantify how much revenue the new income taxes will bring in, how much more will be needed in the outlying years, and what economic assumptions the estimates are based on. While we're at it, what is the desired income distribution? I'v stated this before, until politicians can tell me what their desired income distribution is I will support no increases in income taxes. I think this is a fair question and one that needs be answered before politicians ask people to make "sacrifices" by paying more taxes.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Schumer, Leahy, Boxer, Pelosi, Reid in Unison Budget Deficit Too High

Feeling better now?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Schumer, Leahy, Boxer, Pelosi, Reid in Unison Budget Deficit Too H

So, is your point that we need not worry about the deficit? WOO HOO! Who said there's no such thing as a free lunch?
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Schumer, Leahy, Boxer, Pelosi, Reid in Unison Budget Deficit Too High

Can anyone link me to somewhere I can find the deficit figures, adjusted for inflation, expressed as a % of our GDP? I'd like to go back as far as the depression. (the real one. that most folks talk about.)

I'm not having a lot of luck and getting confused/pissed.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 01:53 PM

I think we should lay off the rich. I mean, according to the bible they're all going to hell. Let them enjoy it while they can.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:01 PM

What does income distribution mean and what does it have to do with income taxes?

As far as the "usual" only want to raise taxes on the rich, that was John Kerry's proposal: he only wanted to undo the Bush tax cuts for those making over $200,000/year. While we may quarrel with his definition of the "rich" and his numbers, (if he did indeed use the word for those making over $200,000), he was specific in who he wanted to change the tax rate for and how much money it would have brought in.

I doubt those folks will be recommending income tax increase for any marginal income tax rate except the highest; and that they will be recommending income tax incrases for any earners except the highest bracket earners.

Then again, I picked Houston to win the World Series.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:37 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
What does income distribution mean and what does it have to do with income taxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

With apologies to adios for stepping in here, a progressive income tax system is income redistribution plain and simple.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:59 PM

How so? I could understand the argument if a higher earner gave his money directly to a lower earner, but everyone gives to the government and certainly higher earners benefit from government spending more than lower earners. And anyway, in practice, our progressive taxes are virtually cancelled out by our flat and regresssive taxes.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'v stated this before, until politicians can tell me what their desired income distribution is I will support no increases in income taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand what you mean. Do you want politicians to come out and say "ok, we're shooting to create this certain level of inequality in the country" and take the debate from there? That seems rather unprecedented and unlikely to me.

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is a fair question and one that needs be answered before politicians ask people to make "sacrifices" by paying more taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if they just want to roll back the Bush tax cuts?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:54 PM

If my own conservative party can't bring themselves to cut spending IMO there is virtually no chance that the democrats will propose domestic spending cuts.