Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 03:04 AM

Default How does Layne Flack make money?

If tight is right, how does a player like Layne Flack make money? Can you really outplay someone so much that you can make up the difference in the starting hands? If aggressive players like Farha or Flack can play so many hands, they can just outplay their opponents that much right?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: How does Layne Flack make money?

if you can find the audio of the final table that cardplayer did, listen to layne's commentary. it might help you to understand how he plays and thinks.
-light
Old 10-26-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you can find the audio of the final table that cardplayer did, listen to layne's commentary. it might help you to understand how he plays and thinks.
-light

[/ QUOTE ]

Was he the one that came in and said he is known for either making the final table with half the chips or busting in the first few hours?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:11 AM

I don't know who Layne Flack is, but Gus Hansen definitely isn't tight, and he's won more money than I can dream of ;o

Also, he makes for one damn entertaining poker game on TV heh
Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 AM

Tight isn'the only way to play. It is simply the easiest way to play to make $. If you don't have a lot of experience, then tight-aggressive is the optimal strategy. However, once you've been around the game for a while you can adjust. Guys like Flack, Hanson, & Farha do so well because their opponents never know what they're holding. They can outplay opponents by raising and re-raising with nothing just based on this simple fact. Of course, they are great at reading their opponents, otherwise they could not play a super-aggressive style successfully. Another main thing is they get their big hands paid off in a big way. Often, their opponents make a move on them at the wrong time. They get sicked of being slapped around and come over the top for all their chips, only to find that their super-aggressive opponent has the nuts.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:29 AM

Was he the one that came in and said he is known for either making the final table with half the chips or busting in the first few hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thats him, knows how to play a big stack very well.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:38 AM

tight is right for some players. i know many players that jsut wait for premiums and are losing players overall. you just can't play "by the book."

i feel i can play any hand especially in late position in no limit hold em. you have to trust your read and figure out where you are in the hand.

that's the problems with most hold em players and hands, its mostly monster vs monster and we go down to see who has the bigger monster. that's not poker

flack and farha play on another level obviously and that's why pros can get away with playing complete junk. more experience and better reads
Old 10-26-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-26-2005, 01:58 PM

But with so many donkeys in tournaments nowadays, Farha/Gus are likely to be called by any one of the many donkeys at the WSOP (for example) who don't know jack about position, reading boards, and starting hand values.

Farha's/Gus's style might have worked in the 80s and early 90s when they were up against pros in the tournaments. But today it is donkeyville who will call.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:53 PM

I think it's a good idea to stay away from absolute statements regarding poker, such as "tight is right". Poker is a game of situations and an experienced player needs to be able to act according to the situation and not a fixed set of rules. Also keep in mind that ESPN shows the hands where there is alot of bluffing and re-raising going on because they are the most exciting to watch. Layne is very aggressive, but I'm sure he is capable of playing tight, especially in the early stages of a tourney.