Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2003, 06:27 PM

Default 10-20 Make 2 pair, never bet, what to do on river?

I don't remember a hand in recent history I have botched as bad as this one. . .

Manic-depressive 10-20 game, been here for 1 hour, don't know any of the players.

UTG limps. UTG+1 raises. 5 callers to me, and I call in the SB with JhQh. BB comes along. . .

Flop is Jc2c4h. I check to see the action. BB bets out, every single player at the table calls. My raise isn't going to lose anyone, so I just call.

Turn is the Qc. I check. . . and so does the rest of the table. . . Kicking myself. . .

River is the 7c (Qc4h2cJc). I check. BB bets. UTG calls. Folded to me.

Fold or call here? And, is it close?

Thanks,
Old 06-08-2003, 06:51 PM

Default Re: 10-20 Make 2 pair, never bet, what to do on river?

hi aces
call. that UTG call looks very suspicious to me. also, your call closes the action. there is room here for the BB to have a set and the UTG to have top pair. also, sometimes these calls are necessary to show grit, keep from being run over, etc. if the BB had checked and the UTG bet, it's more dicey. but the UTg is just suspicious enough to warrant a call.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:41 PM

Everyone puts in 1 SB on the flop - the turn gets checked around. I believe the river is a must call here.

Raises help define hands. Without a raise, by anyone, how can you put anyone on a hand? Your hand is invisible to the other players for this same reason.

So its time to call. Sure, one of these guys might have been slowplaying a set (7 handed, 14 SB preflop pot - unlikely, and irresponsible) or picked up the flush, but they cost themselves quite a few bets along the way. Unfortunately, the same could be said about someone holding QJ.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:39 PM

A definite call. Weak play throughout the hand,no way you can muck for 1BB with two pair.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:20 PM

Default This one sounds familiar...

So you have top two pair, queens and jacks, but there's a four-flush on board...Hmm, yea it's a tough one!

See if the guy on your immediate right wants to call for you!
Old 06-09-2003, 12:14 AM

Fold and it's not close. There is a bet and a call with a 4-flush board on the river and you have two pair. C'mon. Are you trying to beat the bluff, and the bluff-stopper? Because that's exactly what you need to do to win this hand.

-Diplomat
Old 06-09-2003, 02:16 PM

Default Re: 10-20 Make 2 pair, never bet, what to do on river?-Resul

I mucked. First player showed 24o for bottom two pair. Second player didn't show.

At the time I thought it was an easy fold, but thinking about the hand later I realized that I had been on a bit of tilt and didn't think to consider what the other players were thinking about.

The first player had been showing a lot of funky hands and the caller had been priding himself on his "terrific" reads (including a shown laydown of the bottom straight on the flop when it turned out he was against the nut flush draw and a straight draw with a pair.). I think normally this hand i s a fold, but under these circumstances I should have made this easy call.

Old 06-09-2003, 02:19 PM

Default Re: This one sounds familiar...

Are you saying you were the player on my right?

Old 06-09-2003, 02:39 PM

AA88,

The BB looks like he made a decent one card flush given he bet into a large field. If he doesn't have a club the caller does. This one is an easy fold IMO despite the size of the pot.

~ Rick

Old 06-09-2003, 02:45 PM

Default Re: 10-20 Make 2 pair, never bet, what to do on river?-Resul

AA88,

You just wrote: "The first player had been showing a lot of funky hands and the caller had been priding himself on his "terrific" reads (including a shown laydown of the bottom straight on the flop when it turned out he was against the nut flush draw and a straight draw with a pair.)."

Gee, had you said that up front I'd say easy call. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick