Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2003, 01:21 AM

Default New Setup?

Could someone explain the difference for requesting a new deck of cards, and a new setup? Can you request either at anytime? Whats a setup???

Thanks,
Nate
Old 06-08-2003, 08:25 AM

Default Re: New Setup?

the table is always set up with 2 decks.

At any time you can ask the dealer to switch to the other deck. Then later, if someone asks again, they revert to back to the first deck.

a new setup is bringing two all new decks to the table and removing both current decks. A large waste of time.

-Scott
Old 06-08-2003, 11:03 AM

To clarify as to why it's a waste of time: unless you suspect the cards are marked in some way, either through intentional actions of other players or just through use, there's no reason to ask for a new deck. However, many players do ask for new cards to "change their luck". That is annoying to everyone, however since these players are generally losers people often just tolerate it.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:15 PM

many players do ask for new cards to "change their luck". That is annoying to everyone, however since these players are generally losers people often just tolerate it.

MRBAA is absolutely correct. People asking for deck changes and new setups just to change thier luck are big losers who have no clue about poker. Every good player knows that the only way to change your luck is by having the dealer wash the cards...
Old 06-10-2003, 05:08 PM

Personally, I never ask for a new setup. I ask to change the dealer button, usually right after someone asks for a new set up.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:41 PM

I never knew what a 'set up' was until last week at Mohegan Sun. A gentleman was dealt AA 2 hands in a row. A limp-anything bad player payed him off both times, the bad player asked for a new deck, steamingly. The next hand I was dealt AA, the same bad player payed me off when an A hit the flop and he bet into me w/A rag. I called the flop, raised and capped the turn, raised his river bet, he called and I flipped my hand over and he said, loudly, 'NEW SET-UP'! I laughed and said, 'why waste the time'. He replied, 'Yeah, well, what are the chances of that happening', I said, 'the same will be again and again on every deal.' He said, 'whatever' As I watched him rebuy. Sad.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:29 PM

A new setup is 2 new decks. Usually it means the luck must have ran out on the decks in use. Also a good tool to slow the game down when you Keep losing w/ Axo.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:31 PM

I like it. Hope you don't mind if I use it and make it my own. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:05 PM

Not at all. I borrowed it myself!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:21 PM

Default It\'s like changing the air in your tires ****NM****