Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 07:55 PM

Default The Worst Heads Up Sin?

Building a pot out of position with a decent but vunerable hand. Example: I have K9, no raise before flop and opponent is aggressive. Flop is Q92 rainbow. Dont build a pot because you will be raised on the end.

Thoughts? Other sins?

Indy
Old 10-24-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: The Worst Heads Up Sin?

Worst Heads Up Sin = Folding too much
Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst Heads Up Sin = Folding too much

[/ QUOTE ]

this is indeed the worst heads up sin and I believe harrington says as much in vol II
Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 PM

The worst heads up sin is not paying attention to the other player. HU is all about reading your opponent.

In regards to the not building a pot out of position with second pair. I assume that you do not mean to check the flop. Bet the flop if your opponent calls then you fear the top pair. HU I play second pair as if it was top pair until the other player calls or plays back at me. Bet the flop, then decide what to do on the turn, if there is a turn.

--
tjh
Old 10-24-2005, 08:10 PM

Playing Irieguy for actual $$.

I'm not even kidding.

Also, what you do with your hand has less to do with the actual hand and EVERYTHING to do with your opponents actual hand and how they will play it.

Yugoslav
Old 10-24-2005, 08:13 PM

I wouldn't put this number one, because number one has already been taken, for one, but here's a gaffe I do sometimes:

Pushing a marginal hand to steal the blinds when your stack doesn't require it, even though you know your opponent is so poor heads up that your chances to take first are excellent if you just play it cool a bit.

Push too often and you reduce your opponent's folding range to zero, and teach him not to fear you. Give up the occasional blind or just complete the occasional small blind instead of pushing it, and you keep the credibility to blitz him with unopposed steals later. And on some of those, you might actually have the cards and want a call.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:19 PM

I do agree that Irie appears to be good. He has agreed to play me soon. We played last week and he was very aggressive.

Indy
Old 10-24-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do agree that Irie appears to be good. He has agreed to play me soon. We played last week and he was very aggressive.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I didn't watch the two of you play and I'm sure I already know why he was very aggressive....

Do you?

It's not that he appears to be good, he actually is. Not just at HU SNGs either.

I'll play you if you want but not at the stakes Irie is likely to want to play you at. I also am *significantly* worse HU than Irie.

Yugoslav
Old 10-24-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst STT forum sin... Not taking good advice from respected posters !

--
tjh
Old 10-24-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst STT forum sin... Not taking good advice from respected posters !

--
tjh

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a huge difference between agreeing with expert STTer advice and actually understanding and implementing it.

Unfortunately for myself I have a much easier time with the first two parts (agreeing and understanding)....while the implementation is the bane of my poker existence.

I wouldn't be surprised if Indy has a foot in all three of those camps I just mentioned.

Yugoslav