Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Little flush, big trouble

Playing 3-handed 5-10 NL. Villain is a solid, and tricky player who usually plays higher but is showing some definite signs of tilt, and he is obviously being very aggressive. I have $1300 in hand and they cover.

Hero dealt 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in SB. Button folds Hero completes, Villain make it $40 in BB and Hero calls.

Pot: $80
Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $70. Villain calls.

Pot: $230
Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks. Villain checks.

Pot: $230
River: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks. Villain bets $150. Hero raises to $375. Villain pushes. It is about $800 for Hero to call.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Little flush, big trouble

Villan would have bet KQ or two pair on turn. I think he has AK with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He also would have bet a higher flush. He just being a bully, I call.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:17 PM

What are you checking the turn for? The best way to make these situations profitable vs. two pairs/sets or even top pair with nut draw is to charge the pot on flop and turn. River I check and let villain take a stab, and I almost always look him up.

The way it was played... I prefer the coldcall on the river. KQ is very possible, as is 77/QQ. I think you'll run into A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K and KJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] enough to make this call ok, but I prefer the coldcall on river. You could even be up against a higher flush. As is, this flush was heavily overplayed.
-Ace
Old 10-24-2005, 01:33 PM

1) Don't check the turn, it accomplishes nothing other than a headache with that river.

2) Don't check-raise the river. If you are playing the turn like that, this is a bad idea.

3) Because it is 3-handed and the villain is tricky/aggro/tilting... I pretty much insta-call.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:24 PM

My frame of mind was that this opponent was just itching to bet whenever he could. Hence, I led out almost pot-size on flop hoping that he would come back over the top and I could easily stack him. In my opinion he comes back over the top with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K almost always here.

His flat call messed me up. I contemplated a weak-lead on the turn but I thought there was a very high probabilty of a big-bet from Villain if I checked to him and I was going to try to get it in right there. When he checked behind some of the hands I put him on were JT, T9, QJ all with a club, or a really weak king. If you were aggro Villain how often would check behind on that board with trips, or 2-pair??? I figured almost never.

On river I was going to let Villain try to value bet his K or Q or bluff at the pot. Also contemplated overbetting the pot but I had done this twice recently and got called down by Villain and showed big hands. When he bet I figured that he would call a small check-raise with a King, and fold all other hands. His all-in messed me up.

I figure that a bluff or KJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are the only hands that make sense. Yes/no????
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM

Bet pot on flop - bet pot - or even more than pot on turn. Don't raise the river. I play QQ just like Villain did here. Doesn't really matter what he had, you made this hand easy for him. Apply more prseeure and stop trying to be tricky.