Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 09:42 AM

Default fighting the TAGs

I believe I have some major shortcomings playing the tighter players, probably because I'm too focused on exploiting the loose/passives. So I'm looking for some general feedback.

One problem I have is that I think give too much credit to a "tight" player (i.e., VP$P 22% and lower, 15% pfr range). For some reason, I assume a pf raise from these types means a high pair or AK or AQ, even though I have similar numbers and raise with a considerably larger range. Thus, if the TAG open-raises ahead of me, I'm probably folding some hands that I should 3-bet instead.

And I think I might be giving up on hands too soon postflop as well. If I raise with something like AQ or even AK pf, and the TAG reraises me, I often don't fight for the pot if the flop is trashy. But it occurs to me that perhaps this is precisely the situation when I should show aggression, since these types of opponents are probably capable of folding overcards.

And maybe I should be doing more turn c/r bluffing against the TAGS also.

Any opinions (aside from just trying to avoid TAGs in the first place)?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: fighting the TAGs

Good question. I'm also guilty of a lot of the same things as yourself. I'm interested in the response too. From a common sense point of view, I'm sure if you c/r occasionally and 3bet them some, the TAG's will lay down some hands. The obvious thing is timing and the right TAG. I've seen TAG's who when they finally play a hand won't hardly lay it down no matter the aggression against them or the number of players. Some are so tight when they finally get involved I think they lose a little perspective of what the other players might have in their hand. I say pick your spots and note how they react. Do they automatically re-raise, do they hesitate and become a passive calling station? Do they autofold? 2 people with the same preflop stats are going to react differently to aggression within the hand, some take it as slap in the face, others run scared.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

against the TAGs, you can be laggier with position but should be much tigher out of position. think about how much it sucks to get 3-bet out of position. put them in that situation
Old 10-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Hi Wynton,

Just one thing.

TAG's preflop stats are not nearly as representative of his postflop playing style as LAG's or LAP's preflop stats are.

What I mean by this is that it is very rare for a 45/22 to keep going into a shell postflop and likewise a 48/6 does not consistently go nuts postflop.

I think you have to firstly identify what type of TAG he is postflop before you decide how to counter him.

I am re-reading Feeneys ITPM at the moment. He says (although I imagine he had a much smaller opponent line-up than you have) that he recorded opponents postflop tendencies/tactics and basically worked out the best way to counter them. I would guess you could split TAG's postflop into a number of categories and try and do the same.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:23 AM

list out what hands make up 15% of the 'best' hands and post it in this thread please
Old 10-24-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
list out what hands make up 15% of the 'best' hands and post it in this thread please

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. I'm really not sure I'm capable of doing this (maybe that's part of the problem). Are you asking what hands a TAG (22/15) would open-raise with at a table of unknown, when not at co or button? Or do you want me to identify the top 15% of those hands?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Top 15% of hands as defined by all in equity heads up against one random hand:

55+, A9+, KJ+, A5s+, K9s+, QJs

Top 15% of hands as defined by all in equity 4-handed against 3 random hands:

77+, AT+, KT+, A7s+, K9s+, QJ, QTs+, JTs

My 15% of hands subjective hybrid of the above two ranges:

66+, A9+, KJ+, A6s+, K9s+, QTs+, JTs

Cartman
Old 10-24-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

TAG's preflop stats are not nearly as representative of his postflop playing style as LAG's or LAP's preflop stats are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was afraid someone might say this (as it surely complicates things). This sounds likely, but is it really true?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was afraid someone might say this (as it surely complicates things). This sounds likely, but is it really true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of how many 25/16 players you see. Then go ahead and look at their post flops stats. I think you will see a lot of guys with high flop aggression, but they are folding a very high percentage of their hands to a flop bet (probably not so much after they three bet). But a lot of these guys go passive on the turn.

You can get a handle on a lot of these guys, by looking at aggression by street, fold to bet%, WTSD/W$SD... etc.

SO to apply to your situation, if you have a TAG type open raising and see he likes to fold many flops, a 3-bet followed by the standard continuation bet will yield some suprising results for you.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:08 AM

Wynton, how much thought are you giving to the position of the TAG and his raise?

[ QUOTE ]
against the TAGs, you can be laggier with position but should be much tigher out of position. think about how much it sucks to get 3-bet out of position. put them in that situation

[/ QUOTE ]

The above is the advice Im taking from this thread.