Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 06:02 PM

Default BB/ hand vs. ROI

So, i've played a lot of tourneys the past month or so, and feel like my game has been improving a lot. i've been working pretty hard to improve, and have logged more hours this month than ever. I logged tons of hands at LHE before, so i'm used to the streaky nature of the game. and i have a pretty good understanding of just how long the long run can be.

i realize that actual results take forever to approach where they "should" be, but for MTTs i'm still trying to grasp just how much value i should be giving to the results. i remember reading a fossilman post in the archives where he talks about how he used to always bring a notepad so that he could track his results for each stakes in the tourneys. then even if he had a cold stretch in tourneys he could have a better idea if he was still indeed making profitable, +EV plays.

so my question is, how long does either stat, ROI or BB/hand take to converge, and at least start to be somewhat indicitive of the quality of your play vs. your opponents?

also, what is a good BB/hand for a normal online NLHE MTT? for me, i've felt like i've been playing much better this month than i did last month. my ROI is much lower this month, but my BB/hand is about doubled. so i'm hoping that this means i've been running bad in late stages when the blinds are huge.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: BB/ hand vs. ROI

is this really that uninteresting? or is this assertion just incorrect? it seems to make intuitive sense that the best tourney players would usually be the ones who find the most profitable spots, and thus play in a way that they maximize EV... is this correct? so wouldn't it be true that the best players have the highest BB/hand win rate? or is there too much tourney specific strategy, like real money considerations that the highest EV players aren't really the best?