Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2003, 12:27 AM

Default Where do you play because what i read is BS

I have been playing on poker stars for the last 6 months and am doing ok in the tournys. What i have read hear about raising 4 times the big has confused me so i tried it today in the 100$ nl tourny. Blinds are first level i have KK utg and raise to 120 ( i think 6x big blind ) and get 6 callers. You keep asking what they will call with, well i dont know but not everyone could have AA, kk, and so on. Playing in the 33$ nl 2 table sit and goes and you raise 400$ in the first level you have guys coming back at you all in with any piar 22-AA. Everyone calls with AK and so on. So what i am asking is where is it that Little raises gets people to fold, they call big raises with crap.

Please give a new place to play tournys.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Where do you play because what i read is BS

Please give a new place to play tournys.

Ultimate bet, but the buy-ins are far smaller than those at Pokerstars. Sounds like you might benefit from a cheaper education. That's where I am paying for mine.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:21 AM

When I raise to $60 at the 10-20 level on Pokerstars ($10 - $50 tournaments usually), everybody folds very regularly.

Hmmm.

Guy.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:35 AM

Basically what you're saying is you don't want people calling your big raises when you KK and AA? I would think the situation you described was a good thing not a bad thing. You're rasing big with KK and people are coming back at you w/ any pocker pair and A/K? Sounds like an optimal situation to me.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:54 AM

You're going to find that at low limits, and by low limits I mean anything at the 100$ or less range, there will always be lots of loose players entering tournaments. This being the case, you'll also find that preflop raises often get called, even big raises, by weak hands. When you have KK or AA, you should be happy about it, even though sometimes the fish manage to perform a major suckout maneuver. Today on paradise, four limpers came in for $20 and I raised to $200. THREE OUT OF FOUR CALLED. I had AKs and flopped nothing, QTo took the pot down. Now of course was happy that someone would call a big raise of mine with such crap, but it did suck to lose the hand, as I only had about T800 when I made the raise.

I've played tournaments on paradise (one table only there), and on ultimate bet and poker stars. All three show the same types of plays being made. I dunno get no respecto. I could fold a bzillion hands in a row, come out raising 15x the BB, and get six callers on some of the tables.

You aren't facing anything that we all haven't had to face before. But look at it like this... would you rather the tourney be filled with tight aggressive players?

al
Old 06-06-2003, 10:18 AM

As the others have already stated, this is a situation you dream of and not something to complaning about. You don't want to just win the blinds with KK, you want someone's whole stack. When you get that many callers with KK, don't hesitate to go all-in on the flop if no A comes down.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:33 AM

Enjoy it, one of these callers can be enough to get you into the money at the S&G tables. Last night, I'm in BB and get dealt JJ. It's the first level (hand 5 maybe) and the blinds are 10/20. I've got two windows open at once, so I don't even see my hand until it's my turn to decide. In that time, UTG opened for 20, UTG+1 raised to 200, MP called the 200 bet, and everyone mucked to me. Without thinking (the window "popping" up startled me) I push all-in and immediately kiss my buy-in goodbye.

UTG+1 calls and MP folds. In the meantime, I'm preparing myself for AK, QQ, KK, AA, etc. To my surprise, he turns over Q4o!!!! No Q comes to his rescue and I jump from T1500 to T3500 after only 5 hands of play.

Now, if it weren't for fishies like that in the game, I probably would have had to work to get in the money...

I am curious, however, to hear where the folks in this forum think the softest tourneys are... as Stars is pretty tough in general.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:27 PM

I don't play two tourneys much anymore unless they are cheapies, having made the same mistake as you, but not having it turn out so well!

Party is the softest I think. There is a huge influx of tourney players who watch WPT and think that the game is played by going all-in on QTo and praying you steal. (Of course if you are Gus Hansen that works just fine!)