Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2003, 02:43 PM

Default I\'m on the button, it\'s folded to me, and I have...

T9s, so I fold.

Right?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:16 PM

Default Re: I\'m on the button, it\'s folded to me, and I have...

How are we supposed to answer this question? You didn't tell us anything about how your opponents defended their blinds. If they only defend with AA, I would raise with 32o.

However, I'm having difficulty coming up with a scenario in which I wouldn't play the hand.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:18 PM

I'd try a steal-raise here against typical or weak opponents probably 2/3rds of the time.

It depends on the texture of the game at the time though. If the game seemed a bit passive then yes for sure.

-Scott
Old 06-05-2003, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the quick replies Dynasty and SoBeDude.

If you didn't know your opponents and played LL online, then I think folding is correct. I'm assuming that my opponents both won't throw away more than 30% or so of their hands, and will absolutely defend with cards Ten and higher. Usually. Given that T9s plays well multiway, I don't think I'm getting the odds to play this hand. I could be very wrong, however.

Dynasty with my impresssion of your image from reading your posts, and noting the level you play at, a steal raise would probably be a better play. Either way you "might could" outplay them afterwards.

The point of the post was that w/out good odds I don't play non-high card suited connectors, and this would include the situation I described. I just wanted to see what others did in like situations.

BTW, I also play small pocket pairs the same way. If I have 44 and it's folded to me on the button, I won't play them unless I feel a raise can get me the blinds. This may be patently obvious to some, or reprehensible play to others. That's why I'm asking.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:59 PM

I'd raise it up... but I'm sure Nick Collison would fold like shooting FTs in the national championship.

Syracuse Orangemen 2003 National Champions...yeah baby!!
Old 06-05-2003, 05:59 PM

I would generally raise in that spot in an effort to steal the blinds. If I thought the blinds would call liberally with many hands I don't particularly want to play against (Q3, J5, etc.) but not with hands that I do want to play against (undercards, basically), then I would just limp in. I doubt I would fold this hand in that spot, though... it is too strong a hand to fold, IMO. If the rake were particularly high, however, then I think you can consider folding.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:13 PM

Folded to your button with small pocket pair and you'll consider folding? I'd raise 100% of the time. You have position and are going to be ahead on the flop the majority of the time.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:20 PM

I agree.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:21 PM

Id say you are playing too tight and missing out on some easy money by folding pocket pairs in situation slike that... Same probably goes with descent suited connectors.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:53 PM

Take it easy talking 'bout my Jayhawks. I think Nick will be happy making plenty of scratch in the league. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for everyone's replies. Seems I'm in the minority with how I would play in this spot. I figure that these types of hands need good odds, and that with only two and perhaps one opponent I'm not getting them. This would be less true with a made hand, such as small pocket pairs. And while a pair beats any non-pair hand when you're all-in, it's tougher to play when overcards hit.

Seems I need to readjust my strategy.