Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2003, 12:27 PM

Default craps

I'm a total newbie to craps, but had a good time playing for fun recently in a basement game. I'm looking to learn more on the game and was wondering if anybody could recommend any decent books. I'd like to study up and gain a better understanding of fundamentals, betting strategy, etc. before I go play for real. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:47 PM

Default Re: craps

Check out the Wizard of odds. He tells you all you need to know about the different kinds of bets and odds involved in craps.

Basically, if you want to give yourself the best odds, bet only the Pass or Don't Pass line with full odds.

-- Homer
Old 06-06-2003, 03:41 AM

Default Best way to play craps

Best way to play craps is go to downtown LV. Can play $1 or $2 pass line with 5 or 10 times odds. This means you can play for decent stakes, but best part is that your negative EV is about 75 cents an hour for each dollar you play on the line bets. Throw in a couple of Come bets to make it fun when the hot shooters come up and its still costing you about $2/hour! Order up drinks and have a great time, its one of the greatest bargains in gambling. My buddy and I used to say it was our Tuesday night craps game, we would go to the Horseshoe (before Becky ruined the joint) and play $1 craps and make up the tiny loss of EV by ordering the free drinks fast and furious. The way we used to drink on summer nights we always said it was cheaper for us to do that then stay at home.

Unfortunately most tables outside Nevada have 3-4-5X odds if you are lucky and $10 tables aren't that uncommon. If I didn't live here, I can tell you that I would come here for the weekend and spend a lot of time doing just this...isn't getting drunk and gambling while making a lot of noise what Vegas for a tourist is all about???? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Best way to play craps..or

[img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] go to california club...play a 50 cent progressive martindale...see how many times you can win 50 cents before hitting streak of 8 against ya...lol...no chickening out now...lol..gl...this was gr8 wb...you are my kinds feller...(no offense meant)...lol..gl [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 10:56 PM

How about betting the don't and place the point. You'll basically never win but will lose very slowly and get rip roaring drunk for real cheap.

Better yet, if you're going to "study up", study a game like poker that you can actually learn to beat.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:50 AM

Basically I would just bet the field, and then thrown down a couple bizuckles on the double boxcars. You feel me?
Old 06-07-2003, 05:21 AM

You could lose quite a bit doing that if the shooter gets hot on the come out roll. The way we did it was a lot cheaper for the most part because we used the come, much of the time the shooter either goes out pretty quick before we get too much on the table, or settles into a decent roll and hit a number or two to get us even. It was quite rare to lose 3 net bets on one shooter, while once in awhile we would clear 10-15 net bets just from a guy who kept hitting the same number time and again. On our best night I think we cleared a little over $500 each because the table was rip roaring hot so we pressed up our action a bit, the worst night I think I lost about $80 and gave up. Its a great method.

And what is up with the poker comment? The guy asked about craps, has fun with craps, don't get off on a tangent about poker. Poker is challenging, but can't hold a candle to craps for entertainment value, at least not in my book. Its nice to play something you have positive EV on, but since this guy and almost everyone else is never going to be a winner at the games, might as well play something fun and just play within sensible limits.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:12 AM

*I* know you're joking when you spew such blasphemy, but most folks here probably don't.

As far as studying up for a game that's beatable, it's gambling, of course the house has an edge. If the house didn't have an edge there wouldn't be a game. But it's fun to play and pretty profitable with a good run of luck.

p.s., I'm gonna go throw my whole stack on the green over at the roulette wheel. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]