Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Default This was a well played hand: finally. and fun as hell.

This hand just happened. The cast of charcters:

BB is squeeky tight and aggro at 8/7/3.2 over 100 hands. MP is the targeted fish at 63/6/.8 over 200 hands. UTG is 21/9/1.5 over 173 hands and has done nothing even remotely interesting.

This may be standard for many of you but the river play was good I think.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

River: (10.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB
Old 10-21-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: This was a well played hand: finally. and fun as hell.

Raise preflop.

-DeathDonkey
Old 10-21-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew that one was coming.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

and the rest is standard [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 PM

youre the button right? i think calling and seeing a flop here against two limpers 6 max game is a little better. 5 way action for one bet is slightly better than 3 way action for 2 bets with a middle pair. 99 would be a raise. 77 is not enough hand to protect.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:44 PM

Preflop is fine.

The river is standard, but still pretty cool.

The flop I´m not so sure about. Flatcalling and letting in some of the people who may be drawing close to dead might be better. This seem a bit similar to one of the hands Ed Millers says to flatcall with a set.

Difference is that he is first to act though, but still right behind the better.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:46 PM

you should not raise that flop. it's about as good a flop as a set can find short of being rainbow. the reason you should call is you want mp to bet into you on the turn so you can then charge hands like flush and straight draws two bets. getting in a raise on the turn is how you get the most value out of your set here. raising shuts out donks who will happily call along for one bet with any junk pocket pair, any A with backdoor draw, not getting anywhere close to the right price. give them a chance to do that, dont raise them out.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:51 PM

We just had a very lengthy discussion here regarding a medium pocket vs. one limper so I am sure this will spark some controversy as well.

The second limper here was so loose passive that I knew there was no chance of the flop going check, check, bet, fold, fold. Thats why I played it this way preflop and let the blinds come in so we could play a big pot.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you should not raise that flop. it's about as good a flop as a set can find short of being rainbow. the reason you should call is you want mp to bet into you on the turn so you can then charge hands like flush and straight draws two bets. getting in a raise on the turn is how you get the most value out of your set here. raising shuts out donks who will happily call along for one bet with any junk pocket pair, any A with backdoor draw, not getting anywhere close to the right price. give them a chance to do that, dont raise them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop action is close but the flop better was so random I really could not rely on him to bet the turn. I also wanted to define the hands behind me and I was certain uber tighty was folding anyway unless he had a flush draw. It would also be difficult to play the turn if we are still 4 handed and a heart does come down. Then are you still raising the turn?

FWIW, I often do just call this flop when the bet comes from a position that makes me shut down the field with a raise. I just decided to fastplay this one. I think running bad for a while influenced this somewhat as I am so tired of seeing some singleton heart pick up a draw on the turn and catch on the river. (I know this is not good thinking)
Old 10-21-2005, 10:11 PM

this river rules