Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Top two pair with an aggressive raiser -- big pot

SB is 12.4/9/3.3 after 200+ hands with him.
UTG is 43/3/0.7 after 68 hands.

What's the line here on the turn? If I raise, what do I do to a 3 bet? What's the river line?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???
Old 10-21-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Top two pair with an aggressive raiser -- big pot

Calls the turn, you are probably behind. I don't think SB is doing this with AT..do you? He probably has a set or 89.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 PM

Only set i could see was 77. TT and 99 are less likely cause I hold those two cards. He could have the straight, but with those stats, why would he call the button's raise with a hand that made the straight? He seems too tight for it. If i'm up against TT i'd have expected a reraise pf with that AF...am I wrong?

All that said. I still feel that I'm beat deep down.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:46 PM

I love suited connectors as much as the next person, but with only one limper, I'm not sure coming along is the right play.

Pop him again on the turn and slow down to a 3-bet. I'm with you -- it's highly unlikely he has a straight. 77 is likely, but with four outs, it's not a capital offense to put in a raise in the event you're behind. Still, you beat all top pair hands, as well as 79 and 7T. He could also have A7 or A8c, in which case not raising him is a huge mistake.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:56 PM

SB is tight and hyperaggressive over 200 hands. I might raise the turn. He wouldn't have played the straight cards 86 or J8. If he has a set, oh well. Or else I might just call it.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:07 PM

I think you're behind. I'm calling the turn..
Old 10-21-2005, 10:25 PM

If you're going to play this hand preflop, you should raise. Only 1 other player has voluntarily entered the pot, so the 1 extra SB dramatically increases your chances of winning this pot unimproved. Personally, I'd fold.

I also wouldn't cap the flop, prefering to let the SB lead the turn through the other guy into my raise. Since you capped it and he still lead, you can't be that excited about your hand. Still, he may just think you're pushing a flush draw for value, so I'd probably raise again. If he 3-bets, you're in big trouble, but should call trying to spike, and then call again hoping for a chop or something.

good luck.
eric