Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 02:15 PM

Default I am going to conduct a little mtt experiment, need a little help

The last month or so has been one where I feel the cards and gambles has not been favouring me, I see it as a bad run.( There has offcourse been momentarely lapses of poor play or ill judgement too)
But I haver never learned so much about my own game and poker in general as I have this month. I have become a student of the game again and know and realize a thing or two about mtts and myself I previously was unfamiliar with.

I have decided to set aside a portion of my bankroll to play exclusively the stars 11 r.
1.I will always rebuy at once
2. I will double rebuy once if I bust
3. I will always add on
4. I shall only play on days when fit to throw in my A game
5. I shall devote all my attention to just the one tourney and not run multiple mtts or cash games on the side
Question is : how many tourneys will be a relatively decent number to see if I got what it takes with respect to finishes, in the money and ft.These tournaments do typically have between 500-1000 entrants and a nice mix of players on different levels skill wize from seasoned bignames to fishyfish

What I thought I would do is post what I feel was key hands and the thought process behind my plays once a week, to get some feed back. And also post what I believe has improved in my game when situations araise that are good for debate.

I believe I should get around to about 3 tournaments or so a week on average.

Then it should also be possible to say what can be considered a bad beat/ run and vice versa, and what was skillfull.

So somebody please give me my goal if I am what I think I am
How should I expect to do to call it winning play
Old 10-21-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: I am going to conduct a little mtt experiment, need a little help

3 tourneys a week? You can have a qualified guess wether you are a winner in this tourney in a years time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Give it 4-5 years and you will know.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:17 PM

I know about sample size. As I mentioned I will analyze key moments and share for thoughts. And hence the question: what should I set as goal. I have been a winning player so far, with trust in my abilities most of the time, it is only natural to have cycles of doubt and periods of rough breaks. However I am not familiar with stats governing a winning player. But with the modest tempo I am about to take it is to me interesting to see what people believe is an attainable goal.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Peace Melch
Old 11-10-2005, 05:22 AM

Havent had much time to consentrate on this lately. But I have played 4 tourneys trying to keep from multitabling( has by far been the most difficult task), staying sharp( avoided the days where the lust to play was greater then the ability-ie too tired) and in a balanced mindsetting( geared towards playing, not obstructed by thoughts about work, wife etc

Out of 4 entries, I had to double rebuy once in two, in all I took the add on,1 finish ITM 29th and 141$ sofar. Not many interesting hands, was sucked out on in the moneyfinsih against similar stack where all the chips went in on a rag flopp I had QQ against JJ, and the left overs got me trough 2-3 hands. In two of the tournaments I was out around 200 place, once I made a really bad call-knew instantly I was beat, but thought what the hell and gambled it( need to stop doing that-not A gamelike), and in the other I was at a very active table without cards or opportunities, lost a coinflipp against large stack. Yesterday I played the fourt one and finished 131 place-and this is the only hand I find interesting. Maybe some of you think me retarded, but I acted on read, feel and position.

Want your opinion on this hand

I BB 36K, Sb 51K blinds 300/600 ante 50

My hand A5s

The sb had fired at me every moment available if folded around.He would keep betting as long as called in most situations, but I had seen him back of from reraises of some force. I thought my self a better player and was going to outplay him [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Folded to sb raises to 2400

I call Flopp 3,K,K rainbow

Sb bets 4000, I call

Turn 9 making the board twosuited clubs
SB bets 8000 I reraise all in

My read on him was good when it came to betting as long as just called, but I was mistaken in his ability to lay down and not gamble-(dont be result oriented when looking at my move) he called with AJos and I was out. I thought it a poor call, but some might disagree( maybe he had a tell on me, I dont know-only hands I had showed down so far where quality. I had tried some moves, but backed out when failed and this was the only time all tourney I decided to wait until turn with my move.

To fancy you think?
Should I have moved on flopp?

I felt good about it though, I trusted my read on opponent, though slightly off in retro-and played with heart and mind IMO
Old 11-23-2005, 12:18 AM

9th entry, still cant help but running a tourney on the side(won entry into 650 pca 3 r at the same time), but main focus on this. I rebuy at start, 1 add on.
Dodged a bullet or two, but ended 10th when opponent caught runner runner for str8 against my PP. Would have been 1 or 2 in chips if not going into FT, ah well.

What has improved about my game: i get my self more often in position where I can afford and create opportunities to get lucky, and stand being unlucky. Also more diceplined, but relapses every so often. Still squander to many chips in blinds, still run some creative play on opponents that wont notice. But alot more secure towards my reads and better at recognizing what to do against whom.
Got played real bad once in the ending stages though

Hand ATs, button has hammered on your blinds every orbit if folded to 5 time now. Blinds are 15k/30K w ante

His stack 700K yours 500K, 15 players left

He raises 90 K, You reraise 200K he pushes. Do you call?

For what it is worth Stokken
Old 11-23-2005, 12:21 AM

play more tourneys - and always leave yourself room for 4+rebuys and addons - and ALWAYS take the rebuys and addons and don't be afraid to gamble with numbnuts who rebuy 23 times.

Poker-babe has a great article on online rebuy tourneys...I suggest you read it - she's done well in them, I think.

http://www.poker-babes.com/strategy/...urnaments.html

RB