Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 11:08 AM

Default bottom set on ugly board

PP $100NL. Full Ring. I'm on button with 22. One player limps, I limp, SB completes, BB checks. Flop:

234r

SB bets $2. BB calls $2. Limper folds. I raise to $7. SB pushes for ~$100 total, BB folds. We have about the same stack size.

WTF? I have no specific reads. In similar circumstances in the past I've seen everything from 66 to two pair, OESD + pair, made straight, or a higher set.

I absolutely hate folding sets on the flop. I don't know that I've ever done it. There's so few hands that beat me here . . . 33 44 and 56, but the chances that he has one of them after his push go up quite a bit.

I'm not that invested in this pot.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: bottom set on ugly board

I really hate going broke in an unraised pot, especially with a set of 2's... I might find a fold here against that huge overbet, unless he's a huge donk or whatever
Old 10-21-2005, 11:31 AM

what does 243 r mean? Are there two hearts or diamonds on the flop? If he flopped a straight then betting all is a donk play. You would think that he would want some action with anyone on a draw since he would be favorite to win. I would call here because it seems like a fishy overbet. If he has a set over your set then youre just unlucky, if he flopped a straight which i dont think he did, you can catchup to a full house.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 AM

the r stands for rainbow, I'm quite sure.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:53 AM

yes, rainbow.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the r stands for rainbow, I'm quite sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2005, 11:55 AM

I'd hate to fold here to a slow-played big PP... I can't imagine such an overbet from a made straight or a higher set... Maybe top pair and OESD? To me, though, it really reeks of misplayed pocket pair.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:01 PM

I'd fold by letting the time expire. I hate giving up on hads like this but it looks like your drawing slim....Right play is to fold...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Results

Results in White:

<font color="white">
I call, do not improve to a full house. Villain shows 56 for nut straight. I'm still not certain why he pushed like that, I took it to mean an overpair or two pair that didn't want anyone drawing. I constantly have to re-learn that when donks overbet a pot they usually have something really good and just can't wait to get their money in.

I am going to try and refrain from calling bets like this without the nuts in the future. Although I doubt I would ever lay down 44 in this instance.
</font>