Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 02:32 AM

Default 100nl, pot control or draw defense?

Pokerroom 100nl full ring

Just sat down, my second hand so no reads. Took a different line on flop and turn than I usually would. Let me know what you think. Critique on all streets if you can.

Relevant stacks
Hero $99
SB $49
UTG $37

preflop
UTG calls, MP calls, Hero is dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and calls in LP, SB completes, BB checks

flop
J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
pot 5

SB bets 5, BB folds, UTG calls, MP folds, Hero calls

Turn
10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
pot 20

SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks

River
J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
pot 20

SB checks, UTG bets 1, Hero raises to 13, SB folds, UTG bets 30 all-in, Hero calls

Yo.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Re: 100nl, pot control or draw defense?

Fold to the river push for sure. You're behind every conceivable jack except for the split with JQ. The BD flush got there. The straight got there.

Just call the $1 and thank villain for giving you a free showdown. What hand that you're beating is going to call your raise? And it's not big enough to chase out the straight or naked trips.

Also, 15 on the turn, fold to a raise. I doubt that ten helped him unless he's on specifically JT or 9T. If he calls you'd have to decide what to do based on river card/action.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:25 AM

Not sure what hand you're beating here that's calling a river raise. beware of the 1 dolla bet on the river, was made to get some action from a real weak hand or induce a worse hand to come back over the top. NL 101.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:35 AM

This is a truly horrible river play.

Whenever you raise or bet on the river, you want to accomplish something. You have to say to yourself "will a worse hand call?" "Will a better hand fold?" If the answer to these questions is no, you have absolutely no reason to raise or call.

In this scenario, you're ahead of absolutely nothing so you shouldn't raise. Just call and expect to lose.

The preflop limp is questionableI am not a big fan of the flop call either. On the turn it would be wise to bet 10-15$ and fold to a check raise. And as we all ready discussed, on the river you should just call.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The preflop limp is questionable. I am not a big fan of the flop call either. On the turn it would be wise to bet 10-15$ and fold to a check raise. And as we all ready discussed, on the river you should just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you have done on the flop?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 AM

I would have bet the turn being open ended w/ top pair and if I got called played cautious on the river. The turn could be a diamond draw, backdoor heart draw, or strait draw. If it got checked to me I would assume people are drawing. If someone has the strait already they would move in on your turn bet with all those flush draws out there, and you pretty much would know right away you were beat and can easily fold without calling the all-in river bet like what happened. This river is one of those situations where the only person calling your bet has you beat.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:15 AM

Raise. Calling just seems terrible. I'm usually not looking for one pair when I play QJo [which is why in most circumstances I do not play this hand] in full ring
Old 10-21-2005, 08:48 AM

I think we all agree that the river play was poor. But can any of you guys address the issue of pot control vs protecting a top pair kind of hand. Lately i've been checking hands like this down and folding to a bet if an ovbious draw appeared, if noone appears I will use the hand as a bluff catcher.

I've lost some big pots with top pair type of hands when I was potting it all the way to price out the draws, and then if it does hit the pot is so big I cant get away from a river bet, maybe this is the correct line and I just need to fold to thoose river bets.

Any thoughts? This is a real grey area for me.

Brian
Old 10-21-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we all agree that the river play was poor. But can any of you guys address the issue of pot control vs protecting a top pair kind of hand. Lately i've been checking hands like this down and folding to a bet if an ovbious draw appeared, if noone appears I will use the hand as a bluff catcher.

I've lost some big pots with top pair type of hands when I was potting it all the way to price out the draws, and then if it does hit the pot is so big I cant get away from a river bet, maybe this is the correct line and I just need to fold to thoose river bets.

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Post examples. The details will come out as the examples are discussed.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Post examples. The details will come out as the examples are discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do! Won't be home for a few days. I've been a lurker for too long on this board. Gonna try to get more involved,starting next week.