Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Important Decision -- Tough Call

Longtime lurker, first-time caller. I find these forums incredibly beneficial in improving my game. Thanks in advance for any counsel.

This was in a home tournament that started with 30 players. All players began with 1600 in chips, and levels progressed slowly, allowing players to employ their own strategy. I had built up to 4600, and was 3rd overall in chips with 15 players remaining.

Player to my right is TAG, and pretty familiar to me. He's down to 1500, below par, but not desperate. Blinds are 50/100 (no ante), and player to my right (villain) is UTG.

I am dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Villain (UTG) min. raises to 200. I find this strange, as his bet is small enough to attract multiple callers. However, the table isn't doing much re-raising. I put him on two big cards, with a range of JJ-AA, AK, AQ.

I call, and am the only caller, it turns out. In retrospect, it probably was not smart to call there, as I'm OOP and what do I do if someone raises strong?

Anyway, flop is 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Villain checks, and I decide to take a free card, as I believe there are many outs to help me improve. I think that was a mistake.

Turn is 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain moves all-in! 1300 more into a pot of only 550. I'm confused. I am angry at myself for not betting the flop, but I think there's a great chance I have him crushed. Move?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Important Decision -- Tough Call

you almost certainly have him crushed.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:08 PM

I don't understand!! you have the set and the open-ended, no flush is made yet, do you think he min raise with something like j10? I don't see how you can lay this down.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:17 PM

He's short stacked, and is either:

trapping with a high pocket pair, and was hoping to check raise all in..

didn't see any action, and thought going all in here could steal a pot...

has a flush draw now, and wants to try to take down the pot here, and if he gets called, has outs...

has the straight, and is hoping you call here...

So you are either way ahead, or behind. If you are behind, you have 10 outs. If you are ahead, there are 7 flush cards that gives your opponent a winning flush if he is on a draw, and he is on a 2 outer if he has a high PP. If he has a jack, he is drawing to 4 outs, and if he has broadway, he is drawing dead.

If you call and lose this hand, you still have 3100 chips, which is still a good amount compared to the blinds. If you fold, you have 4400, and not much changes, cept short stack now has 1850. If you win, you will have over 6000 chips, about 1/8th of the total chips.

I'd probably call here since you are ahead of so many hands, and villian is likely just trying to buy a pot figuring you won't call his huge overbet. It's an ugly set, but it's probably still a good set.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:19 PM

I felt the same way, but I should add the following: He's someone who had made it clear he deeply valued the $$ payout for top 3 in this tournament. He had stolen a few pots, but after his turn move, I had to consider TT, didn't I?

Also, I'm looking for comments on the flop play. I feel I played it poorly, and I'm hoping for some ideas on how to play it differently -- i.e., how much to bet.

I play a lot more cash than tournaments, so this is a learning experience.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:21 PM

He might have TT, but it would be an ugly way to play TT, seeing how he isn't likely to get called by too many hands there. I still think you are ahead of most of the hands he'd play here.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Results

I deliberated for a while and made the call. To my shock, he flipped over A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. River bricked out and I lost 1/3 of my stack on the hand.

I was shocked because I couldn't even imagine min-raising with such a weak hand from UTG when I'm a short stack. I guess it was my fault for not even considering it as a possibility.

But I'm hoping for a bit of advice: 1) do you even play my hand in that spot? 2) if you do, do you call or raise? 3) what is the best flop action?

Thanks -- lots of outstanding tournament players here and I appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Results

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and he min raise from UTG position... Ok, either that was a very tricky move trying to send out the message that he has a really high pair and is looking to get paid of here or he just isn't a LAG. I like your call since this may very well be a trap and the flop should help you whether or not to put pressure on him or just fold it.

One thing, you say he is familiar to you, then you should have a pretty good read on him if he likes to put out min raises and slowplaying premium hands.

Ok for your questions

1) Yes always.

2) With 88 and a min raise from UTG, I call

3) On a flop like this, I bet. Since he have 1300 left, I would make it 600-700 to go. If he don't have it, he is not doing anything more in this pot and if he do, he is pushing and you should call with pocket pair and an open ended straight draw.

The mistake was to check the turn, that is too passive since

1) What if an 8 comes? Then there is four cards out there and he can have a straight by raising with 55 and TT. Some people I have seen love to raise with AT and KT suited when they are shortstacked. Even from UTG. Add JT there too.

2) What is your plan if a A, K or Q comes on the turn?

Nah, I would have bet on the turn and probabaly taken it down there or if he check/pushed me I'd call with the open ended straight.