Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Hyper-aggressive HU player in 5-10 NL, 5-max

One of, if not the best HU player on the site I play at sits down in my SH 5-10 NL game. After a few orbits I notice that this guy is being crazy aggressive. Almost always raising out of the BB or SB if limped to (often reraising) and opening every pot he plays which is about 2 out of 3. 100% continuation bet frequency. The rest of table now seems to be opening up because of this. My image is fairly tight and I have taken a few pots without showdown.

I have $1200 and table covers. I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO. I limp fully expecting a raise from Mr. HU in the BB. Thoughts on the strategy?

SB calls. BB makes it $50. I call, SB calls.

Flop: Pot($150)
2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks and BB makes it $75. I make it $300. Standard?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Hyper-aggressive HU player in 5-10 NL, 5-max

Looks about right, just hope he doesn't re-raise. If he calls and you hit a brick on the turn, what is your plan if checked to? Also, you said he is the best HU player and maybe probably a good SH player, is this game worth it to continue sitting in? Don't feel embarrasssed to leave a tough table.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:25 PM

I'd make it 225 total, and no, not exactly standard, but given descriptions, raising is better then calling, and folding is never fun.

*Actually, you didnt say how he would play a no pair on the turn. If he gives up pots you should be slamming dem brakes on him by calling the Cbets on him and evaluating turn... Plus you'd have emergency outs (ace, rr [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4)
Old 10-20-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd make it 225 total, and no, not exactly standard, but given descriptions, raising is better then calling, and folding is never fun.

*Actually, you didnt say how he would play a no pair on the turn. If he gives up pots you should be slamming dem brakes on him by calling the Cbets on him and evaluating turn... Plus you'd have emergency outs (ace, rr [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4)

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at the pot size and his bet, I agree $300 may be a little too much. Go with $225. This is good metegame for eventually stacking him. You need to show you are fighting for pots.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:33 PM

Great point about table selection. I had forgot to mention that I had never seen this guy playing 5-max at 5-10 or 10-20.

I fully intended to leave after a couple orbits but when I saw how aggressive this guy was playing I thought that maybe he was trying to implement his normal HU strategy and that maybe it was exploitable.

If I got called and the turn was a K or Q I might fire again. If turn was a diamond I would either pot it or check behind. Other bricks I would probably take free card.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:50 PM

I disagree, I would wait for a better spot to bluff-raise (i.e. good draw + position). You're going to have plenty of opportunities.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great point about table selection. I had forgot to mention that I had never seen this guy playing 5-max at 5-10 or 10-20.

I fully intended to leave after a couple orbits but when I saw how aggressive this guy was playing I thought that maybe he was trying to implement his normal HU strategy and that maybe it was exploitable.

If I got called and the turn was a K or Q I might fire again. If turn was a diamond I would either pot it or check behind. Other bricks I would probably take free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were planning on leaving in the near future, than definetly make this play and maybe even bluff again if he calls and a brick hits the turn. Nothing like a good hit and run.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:35 PM

Why take a stand with A5s here against such a LAG? PF or flop, take your pick, same question...

- C -
Old 10-20-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is not standard. This is an example of you adjusting your game to exploit what you perceive as a mistake being made by your opposition. Whether it is a good adjustment or not is something that you will know better than the players on this board, since you will have been observing the villain over a number of hands and we are only familiar with your brief description of him.

That said, I'd raise pre-flop and call the flop.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why take a stand with A5s here against such a LAG? PF or flop, take your pick, same question...

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]

A5s is plenty good enough to take a stand.

This thinking is why people like villain are able to play for profit.