Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2003, 05:50 PM

Default Bad Advise

I recently posted a question in the beginners forum and got burnt. My question was if am drawing for a flush and the ace is on the board will I split the pot with whoever else gets the flush no matter the rank of our hole cards. The two answered I received said yes to the split.
Well I was playing a few nights ago on Paradise Poker and I drew a flush, the ace was on the board so I kept betting, there where 2 other callers, I figured that one of them also had the flush and the other didn't, so I wanted to make the one who didn't pay. I was right about the cards but I didn't split the pot. I had eight high my opponent had 9 high.
The screen read 9 plays and he took the pot.
Whats the deal?
Old 06-03-2003, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Bad Advise

Ouch... sorry, but I read all the responses as correct. The one with a flush on the board, the board plays b/c all the cards are higher than the two players.

El Sapo
Old 06-03-2003, 05:55 PM

I'm not sure what responses you read, but the ones I saw clearly stated that the bigger flush wins.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:56 PM

Paradise is right. Whoever gave you the advice was wrong. Your hole cards play when you get a flush unless there are 5 of that suit on the board and they're all higher than your hole card(s) of that suit.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Bad reading comprehension

The two answered I received said yes to the split.

I couldn't believe this and had to go find the thread in Beginner's Forum. Did you even read the responses?

Dynasty's response: If you have Kc and your opponent has Qc and you both make flushes w/ the Ac on the board: You win with an AK972 club flush against your opponent's AQJ92 club flush.

Sucka's response: You hold Ts9s. Your opponent holds 7s6s. You both make flushes. You would win this pot as well as your pocket Ten is higher than any spade in his hand giving you the 'best' flush.

How do you get "split" from those responses?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:28 AM

You weren't burnt. The mistake was yours. You didn't read the responses correctly.

My response gave you the right answer in clear language with a good example. I don't know how much more you could have asked for.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:05 AM

I just read the entire thread. Nothing at all there is misleading. The only answer that mentions a split accurately describes the situation where there are five suited cards on the board and neither opponent has a card of that suit in the hole higher than the lowest card on the board.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:11 AM

Default the two surest ways to lose your money

There are two skills that are vitally important in poker.

1. Protect your hand.
2. Know what you have.

#2 means know how to read the board, including how your cards fit into the board, and what that gives you. If you don't recognise the nuts, or don't understand what the nuts is, then you're lost, and will lose all your money very quickly.

al
Old 06-04-2003, 10:29 AM

Everyone else has explained your mistake. Although this post may explain why I see people betting a 4-flush board with the 3 for the flush now.