Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Blind-sided

Loose .25/.50, $50 max buy-in, NLHE table. I've been pretty successful on these tables so far, but am still a newbie to NL ring games. From what I had seen, there was plenty of trapping going on, as well as a decent amount of bluffing. Not much else to say about the table.

I'm in either CO or Button and am dealt 55. 4 limpers to me, I limp, SB and BB complete/check.

Flop comes K84 rainbow.

Checked to me, I check.

Turn is a 5, making 2 of one suit. Checked to me again, I bet the Pot (~$3) and get one caller in LP.

River is a blank. LP hesitates for a minute and then bets $8. After thinking about raising, I figure that $15 is enough for 5s and call. My spider sense was telling me that I had overlooked something. Indeed I had: LP turns over 67o and starts stacking my chips. I never saw him coming. (terrible board read I know, so don't pount too hard)

I feel like I got away pretty cheaply given the nature of the hand (I figured him for a Kx or 2pair), but I'm sure I could have played this hand much better.

Any advice from the NL experts out there?

Many thanks.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Blind-sided

I think you played it perfect.
Call PF was right.
Check on the flop was right.
Had to bet when you hit trips.
And for that bet amount you had to call. You made a great play not betting more.

I think the other guy made the mistake. If he had bet on the turn, you would have raised and probably both of you would have gotten allin.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:36 PM

Played correctly on every street except the flop. On a Big-Little-Little flop that has been checked to you, I fire 95% of the time unless I have reason to believe there is a check-raiser in the midst.

Thanks,
Old 06-05-2003, 01:07 PM

Why do you think his check on the flop was wrong? It was 7-handed. You have to figure somebody has a king and in a low blind game like this they will call with it.
If you get called and don't hit a 5, what do you do on the turn?

If it was headsup or three way, I'd agree.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:11 PM

I guess I'm a version of aggressive player known as the "stubborn-aggressive". I tend to bet and keep betting until someone tells me that I am not winning anymore.

In the games I play in most people would bet a King if they had it. Against a strong bet many will throw away King-weak, or a smaller pair. And in this pot, the gutshot surely mucks and our hero wins the pot.

Old 06-05-2003, 05:28 PM

I agree they should bet it if they have it. But many in a low limit would call.
So in your scenario, you bet, somebody calls.
What do you do when:
1. An ace falls
2. a complete blank falls
3. a K falls
4. a 5 falls

Also, I've played with you. I've seen you call even when somebody tells you you are not ahead [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 09:06 PM

Yep, you're right. I still have not modified my big bet strategy far enough from my limit strategy. Often my mind switches over to the "it's just one more bet" and call some monster reraise. Which is why I still make much more at limit than big bet.

1) I check and take a free card.
2) Depends on the action after my flop bet. Against 1 or 2 players I might fire again.
3) A king falling is the second best card I can hope for. I definitely fire again and fold if someone breathes on the pot.
4) Bet just as natural as can be and hope somebody foolishly slowplayed 2 pair on me.

But as I've stated I'm not a good NL player, although I do show a slight profit.