Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 07:47 PM

Default How to be tight/aggressive and control the table?

I'm pretty new at his. I've been reading most of the books. They all advise to be tight and aggresive. That seems to allow me to play about 15 to 20% of the hands. Sometimes I can sit for 50 hands waiting for an opening hand "by the book". As dust is collecting on my chips how is it possible to take control of the table? I assume many have solved this problem by loosening somewhat. But how?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:16 AM

Default Re: How to be tight/aggressive and control the table?

I don't give a damn about controling the table. It's often an advantage to let someone else think they're in control of a hand. Then, you checkraise them on the turn or river.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:39 AM

I disagree with this somewhat - although I think the idea of "taking control of the table" is silly.

I want someone to think that if they tangle with me with marginal hands that they risk putting a lot of chips into the pot and I want them confused about what I might be holding. They should think, "Hm...I'll wait for easier spots to engage". I think a good aggressive image often makes mid-poor players play meekly against you - they are less likely to steal blinds, call your bets, or bet themselves, etc.

Certainly a good player can exploit this aggression against you. However, if you read the opponents that are capable of doing this, you can re-exploit this - e.g., taking a free card when they check to you expecting you to bet.

Personally, I know players that I would less likely engage, especially out of position.

To the original poster - if you only sit around and wait for premium cards and check and fold when you dont hit the flop, you become way to easy to play against.

anyway - my two cents
Old 06-03-2003, 12:40 PM

"Controlling the table" is a fiction that never really happens. Some may think because they have a run of good cards that they are "controlling the table". Or maybe because a few bluffs in a row have worked, or they've gotten their free card when they wanted it, that they are "controlling the table". Not really. Outcomes at the poker table are random, and you have to make +EV moves, including deciding which hands to play. Thinking you are "controlling the table" is like saying you "control the table" when you are $1000 up at blackjack. There might be a little control from intimidating some players that fear or respect your play, but that's about it.