Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 08:29 AM

Default noninteresting hand similiar to the bottom pair one

villain appears to be a very solid tag. id guess a good winner in the game. hes 20/14/2.4 with attsb 45, the type to put people to the test postflop. CO is a 20/10/2 type if thats relevant. should i be taking a checkcall line with this hand against this type of aggressive player? i think i need to take it to the showdown assuming no scare cards hit.

Party Poker 50/100 Hold'em (8 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $50.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">HJ raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">HJ bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, HJ calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">HJ raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">HJ bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
Old 10-18-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: noninteresting hand similiar to the bottom pair one

The only thing I'm worried about checking behind on the turn is something like QJ/QT. I think he bets the A high hands that have at least 6 outs against us, and even if not he's probably calling a river bet so we don't need to worry about charging him there. Anything else is either a big draw which should betting, or he probably has 3 outs against us, in a pot this tiny let him hang himself, he'll often bet those hands.

Also we're about 50% against his range on the flop, which also points to just check calling down since a flop 3 bet or turn raise doesn't necessarily mean we're behind.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 AM

where do you get 50% from and what range are you giving him? unfortunately pokerstove doesnt work for me so i cant make the calculations myself. i dont really know how the poster influences his raising standards, but i would put him on
44+, QJo+, K9o+, A9o+, 78s+, 8Ts+, 8Js+, A4s+, K7s+. thats just a wild guess tho.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:55 AM

Board: 9c Kc 8d
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 52.8659 % 51.95% 00.92% { Tc9s }
Hand 2: 47.1341 % 46.21% 00.92% { 44+, A4s+, K7s+, Q9s+, J8s+, T8s+, 98s, 87s, A9o+, KTo+, QJo }

I don't know if that is right, i got pokerstove today.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:57 AM

these numbers are so staggering to me because you would figure i would be ahead alot more often than that. i think i need to start checkcalling more often.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:02 AM

id checkcall the flop.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:03 AM

whats your turn plan? c-c?
If the Kc is an Ac?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:36 AM

I don't mind a flop CR here. If he thinks you're tough, a turn CR is just what he'll be expecting if you check-call-check, so I think he'll be checking a fair few hands behind on the turn (the ones that you wanted to CR). This means it's either check-call-donk or CR flop. If you CR flop your external range includes a lot of draws; if you check-call-donk then he'll put you on exactly what you hold.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:44 AM

I think you should fold this one somewhere. If he's good he isn't raising light with a poster behind him, and won't he take a free showdown when you call the turn raise if he is semibluffing like Ace high?

-DeathDonkey
Old 10-18-2005, 11:16 AM

I think this is one of those hands where you can fold the river. All the worse hands that I would expect to raise me on the turn would be taking free-showdown moves to charge our "draw" which we are frequently on. When he bets the river blank after you going into calldown mode I think it's a value bet which would be A9+.

I don't mind a check-call line if you think he'll bet the turn...the pot's a bit large to give him a free card, though.

Surf