Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Protecting my Hand or is this flat out nuts?

I am trying to grasp the concept of protetcing my hand vs betting for value. Below is a hand I played where I think I am betting to protect my hand. Would like to hear what you think. Is it the right hand to do so? Right concpet wrong application? Did I miss the boat all togther?

Thanks in advance!

BB is tight somewhat aggressive. I think she is conservative. I think she is a fairly solid player but this is the only time I have played against her and we have about 100 hands at this session.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
[color=#666666]2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 calls, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](5 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

I check to see if there is any strength with the intent of check raising. When the BB leads out and only one other person calls I think there are no real strong hands so I will press with the check raise to see what happens. I figured it was quite possible for the BB to have a king or a ten but didnt think she had the flush. She could have a number of other hands at this point as well.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds.

I lead out thinking she would call with kings, tens or made flush (possibly raise if she made the flush).

River: (7.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

I check but think maybe I should have bet. If she had a higher flush (Q) I think she would have raised the turn. Think I lost a bet here.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 10-17-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Protecting my Hand or is this flat out nuts?

[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to grasp the concept of protetcing my hand vs betting for value. Below is a hand I played where I think I am betting to protect my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand are you protecting? The J-high flush draw or the pair of tens?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:17 PM

It's not too late to edit your post and re-convert your hand into 2+2 format instead of FTR format. Please, if it doesn't look right when you preview your post, fix it. Fix it by hand if you must.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:47 PM

Well sorry about that I tried to edit but time expired? When I tried to edit it wouldnt let me. I will make sure I use the right format next time. I also tried to delet but couldnt.

On the question of what I was trying to protect the answer is pr of tens. So it sounds like i may need to re read the concept again. I was trying to undersatnd it and thought this may have been an example from my play.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:11 PM

When you check-raise after a bettor on your left, that is a check-raise for value, not protection. Flat betting out is also good in my book. That said I don't have any real problems with your play.

Except the river, you should have bet that.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:16 PM

My understanding is that you would raise to protect your hand, when you think that you probably have the best hand, but that it is vulnerable to draws. So you raise to make it unprofitable for drawing hands to call.

Raising for value could be when you either have a strong made hand or a strong draw. You would be raising to build the size of the pot, because you would expect to win it a greater %age of times, than the %age of bets that you are contributing to it.

In your hand example, I doubt that your pair of T's was the best hand. So a raise would not have been protecting your hand if someone else already had top pair.

On the other hand, there was a good chance that you would have the best hand if you made your flush. You would make your flush approx 1 out of 3 times by the river. So you would really have needed to have at least 3 opponents to call your raise on the flop, for your bet to have been for value.

I hope that this makes sense.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the comments just starting to get my arms around good flop play