Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Looking for Tutor / Support

Firstly I would like to introduce myself before I propose anything. My name is Matthew Hopkins and I am 19 years old. I dropped out of University approximately 8 months ago to pursue the game of poker as a full time career. I was studying accountancy after completing A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Information Technology. I acquired top grades in each A level and 100% in some modules.

I have been playing 1/2 and 2/4 over many many hands. And I am really looking to take my game further. I read a lot of strategy and have studied many poker texts. I am a winning player and play mainly 6-max on the Ultimate Bet Network.

I currently play 10 + hours / day on between 4 and 12 tables. I play at the B+M four nights a week in 50 - 100 STT / MTTs.

I am looking for someone who plays in higher limits than myself who can critique my play. I am at a good standard at present but find myself demotivated after having a losing session at a higher limit due to the inability to deliberate cartain key hands.

I feel that I would be a good student as I am quite open minded, grasp ideas quickly and have the ability to put in many hands experience each day.

I am looking for someone who would have the time to go over several hands a day and wouldn't mind explaining some further theory about each hand pinpointing the mistakes that I have made.

If you would like to help out, Please feel free to PM me or respond in this thread.

Thanks for reading,
Mat
Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Looking for Tutor / Support

[ QUOTE ]
I dropped out of University approximately 8 months ago

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel that I would be a good student

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2005, 11:46 AM

It sounds like you have a good foundation. Why do you think you need coaching to move up in limits? Have you tried playing one table at higher limits rather than multi-tabling?

- Jim
Old 10-17-2005, 11:47 AM

A couple things:

I think you should have done a little more research before dropping out of school, it's been discussed here a bunch of times, but w/e thats another argument i guess.

what is "many many hands"? poker people like numbers, and i'm afraid what may seem like "many" to you might me statistical chump change.

Personally i wouldn't be looking to drop out of school for 2/4, especially now with the party situation. Also, i would concentrate on a game, either limit or tourneys, pick something and focus on it.

Lastly, what you are looking for is a coach. Some 2+2ers offer coaching services, which seems is what you're looking for. This costs money.

My personal suggestion is to stay in school, 12 credits or something that will still give you free time, and study the game hard, read books, post hands here, ect.

Good luck with w/e you choose.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what is "many many hands"? poker people like numbers, and i'm afraid what may seem like "many" to you might me statistical chump change.

[/ QUOTE ]

between 5000 and 10000 hands per day is standard

[ QUOTE ]

Lastly, what you are looking for is a coach. Some 2+2ers offer coaching services, which seems is what you're looking for. This costs money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made this post looking to see if anyone would "coach" for free. Perhaps a casual player may find it beneficial to have a student. Is this naive?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:05 PM

I have played some 5/10 and 10/20 on single tables. I just find that I don't have anyone to help go over key hands, I could post them here, but I feel that a player who had gone through many hands with me would be in a much better position to further my game.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Not naive, but you do get what you pay for.

- Jim
Old 10-17-2005, 12:12 PM

Post problem hands here when you have them. Look for good responses. When you find posters you really respect who can articulate their viewpoint well, perhaps you could pm them and see if they're interested in an arrangement. If you're serious about coaching you won't mind paying for the service, and you'll probably get the best feedback that way. In the meantime, you should go back to school, especially if you were getting As on so many subjects. Poker will always be there but you won't always have an opportunity for school, and five years from now if you've only pursued poker, it will be a lot harder to get back into an academic environment. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Coming from someone who seems to be quite articulate, self-reflective, interested in theoretical and quantitative changes, and eager and willing to learn, I can think of one piece of worthwhile advice to give to you:

GO THE [censored] BACK TO SCHOOL

I read this post and found that part very sad. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 04:47 PM

you should PM All1n. There have been several players here that have liked what he has given them. But, like BigEndian said, you get what you pay for, so if you want quality, you're gonna have to fork over some money. I also know that JoeTall does coaching, but I haven't heard anyone talk about him specifically(though, I don't doubt that Joe is a great coach)

AND GET YOUR DEGREE FIRST