Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Bellagio 30/60, 42s river bluff

This hand is from about a week ago. I'm at the Bellagio to check up on an investment I made and I decide to play a little 30/60 and drink a few beers. Justin A is with me and is seated directly to my left. I've been playing a few more hands than normal, and playing extra aggressively all night. I'd like to think I was just trying to put myself in a few tougher situations to see if I could play my way through them, though maybe I was just lying to myself and I was just blowing off a little steam. Either way, my image is laggy as all get-out and I'm doing other non +EV activities while playing, including discussing the occassional hand with Justin, telling people I play for a living, and generally not paying too-close of attention to the game.

On to the hand.

EMP and hijack limp. I limp in the CO with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Justin been known to play a little tight in this 30 game, and he folds on the button as planned. SB completes, and we are 5 to the flop.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checks around to me. I bet, one of the first three guys call, and the hijack calls.

*The hijack is a middle-aged dude with a beard and baseball cap. I've seen him in the room before, and he comes off as slightly quiet, but pleasant. Although I haven't played with him for too long and haven't seen too much evidence for or against my assessment, my assessment is that he's pretty decent pro or semi-pro. He just had that way of carrying himself where confidence radiated from him without him having to say a word. I would get to know him a little better as the night wore on, and he is definitely the kind of guy I want at my 30 table. I'll sacrifice a little EV for a pleasant atmosphere. Very observant fellow. Anywho...

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to hijack, he bets, I call, other guy folds.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Bet, I raise.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 30/60, 42s river bluff

are you just having a good time or do you think your postflop edge is so great that your preflop call is correct? im not being condescending on this btw because i would trust your judgment and am quite intrigued.

on the river i think its safe to assume that raising is better than calling, but i think folding is best. it sounds like youve established a bit of a hotshot image and i think a confident and comfortable semipro/pro will be astute enough to call you down with a modest holding.

was your plan to raise almost any river card or did you decide to just raise this 7s because it is probably one of the scariest cards in the deck for a 6x type hand?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:43 PM

I'd say preflop was more "good time" than "good poker," but in general, we're dealing with, in essence, a suited 2-gapper. It can't be that bad when there isn't too great a threat of a raise behind you, but would still say it's a long-term loser in my hands. I think a Clark/Gabe/mike l. type could make it +EV with their A-game and extra live experience supporting them.

When I called the turn, I had no clue what I was doing on the river. Before the river card was turned over, I was just focused on playing the hand optimally, which meant I was wishing very hard for a 2, 3, or 4. When the 7 came, I decided he had the 5 of hearts and that I needed to raise because of that.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm at the Bellagio to check up on an investment I made

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you buy a boob job for a cocktail waitress?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:41 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm at the Bellagio to check up on an investment I made

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you buy a boob job for a cocktail waitress?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more in the he's a pimp direction, but it's gotta be something like that. either way, speculating on what his investment is is a lot more interesting than drunken suited wheel card limping
Old 10-17-2005, 06:13 PM

Coke mules, my man. That's where the real money is these days.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:49 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

it's probably worth a shot against an unknown, though it might damage your raport with him (if there was one at that point) and your image certainly doesn't help. but still, he probably has a weak K and he's gotta be thinking "K no good"
Old 10-17-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your image certainly doesn't help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I always thought a little looseness and aggressiveness lent some legitimacy to river aggresssion, especially when it comes to raising as opposed to betting.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:11 AM

FWIW, it's misleading to call 24s a suited one gapper. It doesn't have near the same chance to make a straight that 97s or T8s do unless hi-lo wraps play(you also can't make a one card straight to your bottom card, remember). I doubt any player can play this profitably long term unless these guys are going to the river no matter what, or folding before showdown no matter what.
-James
Old 10-17-2005, 01:03 PM

james, I'm sorry but you're wrong. 42s is better than a suited one gapper. calling it a suited one gapper just doesn't do it justice. it is a suited wheel hand which is easily the most powerful in drunken limit hold'em