Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Please dissect this drawing hand

Please don't construe my posting of this hand to be an endorsement of the specific actions taken by the protagonist (who is not me) nor as meaning that I think the hand was misplayed. I'm posting it because I think it is an interesting hand that can generate some good discussion.

You are playing in a nine-handed 20/40 at your local cardroom. For the past half hour, the game has been unusually tight with many hands having no flop and the large majority of flops taken three-handed or less. Compared to the online opponents you may be used to, the players tend to be more "honest" and conservative: less thin value bets, less tricky turn raises, etc. However, people are still capable of bluffing, betting their draws, etc.

Pre: UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2 limp. A couple folds and CO limps. You are on the button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and limp along. SB folds and BB checks.

All of these players are "typical" for the game, except for UTG+1 and UTG+2. UTG+1 is probably the worst player in the game as he veers towards being a calling station. He won't do anything ridiculous like call multiple bets cold on the big streets with hopeless hands, but he still pays off too much in spots anyone else in the game would know to fold. UTG+2 is unknown to you and joined the table recently, but is a young kid who seems to be somewhat more aggressive than the norm here.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. It's check to CO who bets. You call as do UTG, UTG+1 and UTG+2.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. It's again checked to CO who bets. You call, UTG folds and UTG+1 calls. UTG+2 now check-raises and you three all call.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. It's checked to CO who bets and you call.