Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 02:37 PM

Default I suck at poker : A-high out of position

PP 5/10 4-handed

villian in this hand is an unknown loosey. BB is tight so I raised.

UTG limps, I raise A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from the SB, BB plays along and folds, UTG calls.

flop J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

bet, call

turn K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

bet, call

river 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

check, bet, fold

hand 2: PP 5/10 6 handed

two folds, typical 36/16ish raises from CO, I 3-bet A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] from the SB, CO calls HU.

flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

bet, call

turn K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

bet, call

river Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

check, bet, call.

I have absolutely no idea how to play these spots and feel like i am losing lots of money this way. Any ideas appreciated.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: I suck at poker : A-high out of position

Hand 1 looks good. Hand 2 I usually end up calling the river although I'm not sure it's right.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:11 PM

Since hand 2 was a drawless board on the turn, he's probably not calling with draw. I'd fold the river in hand 2.

I would personally probably try check raising the turn in hand 2, and of course folding to a 3 bet or a river bet UI. But maybe that's just my fps.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:15 PM

I'm a FR player so just commenting to be told how wrong I am.

Hand#1 - I think you need to check/call or bet/fold this river because of the flush draw.

Hand #2 - I never liked 3-betting a potential dominated hand in the SB(suited or not) in FR I don't know how much SH changes things enough to make it right.

Looks like this river should be check/fold or bet/fold. If it's possible to push this player off a sm-med. PP than bet if not check/fold
Old 10-15-2005, 06:01 PM

Hand 1 is fine, IMO. The pot is small, and the KJ9 board could easily have hit your opponent.

Hand 2 is tougher. The pot is somewhat bigger, and the paired board makes it less likely to have hit your opponent. Even though there was no draw on the flop, I think many aren't willing to let an unimproved ace go here. But he would probably need to have specifically A7-A9 for you to be ahead here. It really depends how aggressive he is, but I would be inclined to let this go as well.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never liked 3-betting a potential dominated hand in the SB(suited or not) in FR I don't know how much SH changes things enough to make it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are missing a lot of value if you're not 3betting a strong hand like ATs against a CO open raise (especially from this guy), and that goes for full ring and shorthanded both. You are more likely to dominate than be dominated, IMO.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never liked 3-betting a potential dominated hand in the SB(suited or not) in FR I don't know how much SH changes things enough to make it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are missing a lot of value if you're not 3betting a strong hand like ATs against a CO open raise (especially from this guy), and that goes for full ring and shorthanded both. You are more likely to dominate than be dominated, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. You're correct. Playing and posting at same time (I know, I know, but you know how boring FR can get sometimes when you're card dead). I read "2 folds" and my FR mindset buts him in MP1. Not exactly a steal postion.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:57 PM

fold the river in hand 2.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
fold the river in hand 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

is there any river card you are calling there? or is the Q just a bad one?