Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Kings, am I beat here? I can\'t be right? well, maybe?

Here's a hand that came up last night. NL100 .50BB I'm down 2 buy ins from being sleepy and making some bad calls. Once I got rivered when I was 78% to win at the river. Oh well. Not sure if anyone had noticed. A lot of my cont. bets were being raised and I would fold.

Hero: has 55.00 and is dealt red KK in MP1. I have been getting no action on my KK or AA earlier (where my standard raise is to 2.50, so I lower my raise to 1.50. Villian #1 (80.00) calls from the button, BB(Villian #2) calls.

(Pot $4.75) Flop is 2c 5h 6s

Hero bets 3.50. Villian#1 calls, Villian #2 calls.

(Pot $15.25) Turn 7h.

Hero bets $9.00 Villian #1 raises to $20.00. Villian #2 folds.

It's $11.00 to call into a $44.25 pot, so I'm gettig better than 4:1 on my money, but if I call here and I'm behind, I definately lose the rest on the river. I'm drawing to 2 outs against a set. I'm drawing dead against 8/9, but Villian hadn't gotten out of line and was pretty standard over the hour I've been sitting there.

I go into the tank and I push for my remaining $30.00. Villian goes into the tank then calls.

What hand do you put Villian on?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Kings, am I beat here? I can\'t be right? well, maybe?

since he took a while to call he had a pocket pair lower than you almost certainly. QQ.

The way the hand played out though, i'm not sure i'd put him on something like that after the turn raise. Turn raises are almost always a strong hand and i'd fear the set here...wouldn't worry about the gutshot as much.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 AM

he could have 22,55 for trips or 99,TT,JJ. QQ-AA would have probably raised PF from the button. Maybe 67s or 56s too. Dont think he has 66 or 77 as would probably call instantly. Str8 looks unlikely too.

If i had to pick one hand for villain i say 22
Old 10-14-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he could have 22,55 for trips or 99,TT,JJ. QQ-AA would have probably raised PF from the button. Maybe 67s or 56s too. Dont think he has 66 or 77 as would probably call instantly. Str8 looks unlikely too.

If i had to pick one hand for villain i say 22

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're folding to his turn raise?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:10 PM

No i probably would have pushed the turn too but im basing the assesment of villain having 22 on the whole hand including villain calling on the river.

Im sure when you let us know the results a bit later i will be way off!!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:17 PM

I'd say 88

I'd totally be raising more on the flop and much more on hte turn, the turn looks very weak and is asking to get reraised.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say 88

I'd totally be raising more on the flop and much more on hte turn, the turn looks very weak and is asking to get reraised.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? The flop is great for my hand and I still want to encourage "some" action. 3/4 pot seemed like a good bet on both streets. Part of my thinking was that I had been folding to reraising on my cont. bets where I missed. Part of me wanted him to raise, but then after thinking of how the hand played out, I wasn't sure what exactly I wanted or where I stood.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Range of hands set below top set, A6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], overpair 88-JJ. I think A6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] makes a lot of since. I think you played it fine.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:28 PM

when i said raise more on hte flop i was thinking more on the lines of .50 more, but didnt feel like going back and deleting what i wrote so it stands, still why so weak on the turn?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:37 PM

I don't like the preflop raise. All it did was sweeten the pot and give you no information. At NL100, I'd open for $4.00 with KK. If you made it $4.00 and they both called, your continuation bet would be around $10-12 and you're probably getting it all-in on the turn.

With a full stack, I probably fold to the turn raise. Given your small preflop raise, hands like 22, 55, 66, 34, 56, 67, 77, or 89 could easily be against you. I also don't think it's likely that villain would play QQ, JJ, or TT (hands you beat) this way.