Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 10:47 AM

Default See the flop or Push?

Bay 101 Thusday - $50 + $20 R/A - 100+ players, 258 Rebuys, 90 Addons. Over half the field is gone and is now down to about 45. Blinds 200/400. My stack is about t4600, about average at my table, no real big stacks and no real shorties. Players have tightened up some after the rebuys ended but still enough action.

EP player limps, MP plater limps, SB completes. I'm BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I sense weakness from the limpers. Pot is t1600 and I have t4200 after posting my big. I have SB and MP (relatively new to the table, so no reads) covered but EP has me outchiped. EP pushed JJ in EP and orbit ago, took down the blinds and showed.

Should I check my option and see the flop with my weak ace or punish the limpers?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: See the flop or Push?

I think i would check it. EP might be slow playing a big hand, depends on what sort of player he is. Have you seen him limp alot from early position?

SB and MP limper will probably fold so if you sense EP is weak too and he isnt too tight a player that would only play strong hands from EP then maybe a push is good but he is the one that can knock you out so i dont see the need to Push here and would see the flop.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:24 PM

I would push, unless EP is tricky and done some limp/call big raise or reraised... 1600 is 40% of your stack and you will have to fold to almost any flop, even an ace will be tricky to play. With 4200, you ca't afford to call any bet unless you have the nuts so all-in and wish they fold or get lucky.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:22 PM

I'd see the flop. BB is only 400 and you have 4200 behind. Plenty of chips. You fold with a miss here, fold the SB and you stillhave 10BB left. Plenty of chips to make a move in the next orbit or two.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:18 PM

I'm sorry, did you post a question? I never made it past your avatar... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Oh, there it is. I'd say that without any specific reads to the contrary, a push here is likely to give you the chips without a fight. A lot depends on how short the players are and if they've basically given up yet. Some may see all those chips in the middle and just call all-in with AJo or 66. If you feel that the people in the pot are still trying to play conservatively, go for it.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:44 PM

I'll go ahead and disagree, although I should point out that the vast majority of my experience is at online tournaments. I think EPs most likely holding is a medium pocket pair and that he's reasonably likely to call with it. How much does he have you outchipped by? If it's just barely, I like the push more (although limping nearly 1/10th of his stack in EP looks mighty suspicious). If he's got over double your stack, not so much...