Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Trying something new... not as easy as i thought it would be

Hey guys before I start posting here I just want to give you some background on what I've been doing before i decided to move to SH.

I have been living off poker for the last 8 months... It's been a fun and bumpy ride thats for sure.
I was playing the $20 Sng's 8 tables at once for the first 7 months.. Easy money but very borring!!
I decided I need something alittle more exciting So I'm moving into some limit shorthanded.

I've played 3 weeks now of different limits 3-6,5-10,10-20 on the prima network.
The one thing I've noticed is the swings are insane compared to the sng's I was playing. First week I made about $400
Second week I made $2000!!... this week [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I lost $2000 in 22 hours of 5-10, and 10-20.. Do winning players see these kind of swings or Am I a lossing player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I dont know but it sure is nuts.

Anyways I'm just saying hi to all you guys and looking forward to contributing to the forum...
Any flaming is welcome!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Trying something new... not as easy as i thought it would be

sh limit swings are pretty maddening. doubly so if you have a low winrate. how many hands/wk are you talking about? anyway, we probably won't be able to tell if you're a winner or a loser with the low # of hands you have.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:37 AM

i this it is about 5k hands on 1/3 of them are on PT cause i just switched to prima network.
I'm positive im a winning player at 3-6 but I'm begging to doubt i can beat 10-20... it might be that I care about the money too much at that level though
Old 10-14-2005, 01:38 AM

even THINKING about your results after playing 5k hands of sh limit? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

you will need a lot more hands to get a picture of your edge from your results. in the mean time, try to analyse your opponents and they way they play, and ask yourself if you have an edge - and if so, where does it come from?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:41 AM

Yeah i know its a small amount of hands.. I know all about sample size.. I thnk im just alittle upset about losing $2k in 3 days thats all! :P
Old 10-14-2005, 01:46 AM

Assuming you have a limited BR, you might want to try to concentrate on beating lower limits first. The reality is that

(1) you may not be a winner at the higher limits
(2) even if you are, you could easily hit a downswing where you lose several thousand dollars
(3) you will get to the higher limits soon enough, why not wait until you are more confident that you can beat them before moving up
(4) it's dangerously easy to tilt away a lot of money if you hit a big downswing at the higher limits
Old 10-14-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i know its a small amount of hands.. I know all about sample size.. I thnk im just alittle upset about losing $2k in 3 days thats all! :P

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! I play 10/20 6max for a living and on Tuesday was down $4200 after 4000ish hands (since recovered luckily). Yeah the swings can be crazy. It makes it all the more important when you're playing for a living to have plenty of bankroll. If you're playing 10/20 for a living I would recommend no less than 600bb. Psychologically it just makes dealing with the swing sooo much easier.

Good luck,

___1___
Old 10-14-2005, 02:05 AM

Your right about that. I really find it hard to play my a game after getting river 4 hands in a row and loosing $200-$300.
I already quit playing 10-20 I realized i cant handle the swings at that level. I'm getting some nice Rakeback so even playing 3-6 I can make a good living off of the rakeback alone if I 2 table and break even. I'm going to concentrate on beating the game first then like you said I'll move up when im confident and properly bankrolled.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to concentrate on beating the game first then like you said I'll move up when im confident and properly bankrolled.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing to keep in mind. Taking a shot (as you did) is a good thing. I'll guarantee you most people at 5/10+ took multiple shots before the limit actually "stuck". I think I took about 8 shots at 10/20 before everything fell into place. Bottom line, keep taking calculated shots and don't simply wait till you have the proper bankroll to move up...

___1___
Old 10-14-2005, 02:19 AM

-170bb playing 6k hands @ 5/10. The swings are brutal [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]