Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Dumping on the White Sox

Anything that ESPN and the sports media say to marginalize the White Sox, they will say.. I actually read a column on ESPN that said that the Angels would be up 2-0 if not for that play? How the f*** can they say that? Burhle had SHUT the angels offence down for 9 innings and was about to do it for the 10th too, because he was showing no signs of slowing down. The Angels were already halfway through their bullpen by the end of the 9th, and the Sox hadn't even touched their (excellent) pen. Who wins this game if the Angels didnt get screwed in the bottom of the 9th? THE WHITE SOX DO.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Dumping on the White Sox

Yea the bullpen definately favored the sox, im not a fan of either team but anyone who roots against the sox because of the call is an idiot. They still had to come up with the stolen base and the game winning double they earned the win.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Scioscia himself said that the Angels didn't play well enough to win game 2, and that Buehrle was terrific. Don't worry about ESPN. I heard one of their analysts say that if the Red Sox had not won the World Series in 2004, their "collapse" in 2005 (being caught and passed by the Yankees the last month of the season) would be considered one of the worst in history. This when their winning percentage was .584 before the "collapse" and .588 after.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scioscia himself said that the Angels didn't play well enough to win game 2, and that Buehrle was terrific. Don't worry about ESPN. I heard one of their analysts say that if the Red Sox had not won the World Series in 2004, their "collapse" in 2005 (being caught and passed by the Yankees the last month of the season) would be considered one of the worst in history. This when their winning percentage was .584 before the "collapse" and .588 after.

[/ QUOTE ]
ESPN has been dumping on the White Sox all year -- most Sox fans don't give sh*t what they say. Given most of thier "experts" didn't pick the Sox to finish above 3rd in their division or give them a chance against the Red Sox, it makes sense that they take every opportunity they can get to minimize thier accomplishments. Peter Gammons is the only on-air talent over there worth listening to. That guy is a real reporter. The rest are talking heads, far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 AM

While there is some truth to Scioscia's comment(s), I also believe that he was taking the "High Road" and I would expect nothing less from the gentleman.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:08 AM

Maybe. But he did say he thought the call was wrong.

I think the call is getting so much airtime because it was with two outs in the bottom of the 9th in a 1-1 game and then the next batter won the game. In the final Angels/Yankees game, an equally controversial call, on Cano's strikeout when the umpire(s) ruled that he ran outside the lane and interfered with the throw, might also have cost the Yankees the game. But it was in the 6th inning of a 5-2 game.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything that ESPN and the sports media say to marginalize the White Sox, they will say

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually good news for the White Sox. They have constantly been underestimated and marginalized all season long. By now it's part of their personality. It gives them that ever important chip on their shoulder. They are the underdog even when they shouldn't be. They lead their division (toughest in basbeall) from wire to wire and ended up with the best record in the league. They won only one game less than StL yet Chicago was accused of choking? Well the Cards didn't have the hottest team in baseball (at the time) crawling up their ass. They had no one pushing them. But to the dismay of all of the media naysayers they still won the division by a reasonable margin and still won more than anyone else in the league.

The media is a bunch of clueless morons who really don't understand a lot about the game but are good at spewing misguided opinions. This is fantastic news for those of us who handicap and bet baseball because the ESPN generation listens to and believes these clowns and gives people who really understand huge edges in the betting lines.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Peter Gammons is the only on-air talent over there worth listening to. That guy is a real reporter.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Please.... don't.

ESPN has ZERO CREDIBILITY with me anymore. And it's been about a year and a half now that I've felt this way.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is fantastic news for those of us who handicap and bet baseball because the ESPN generation listens to and believes these clowns and gives people who really understand huge edges in the betting lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. I never thought of that. I'll have to get into sports betting now. lol.