Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Hand 1: So Many Kings

Here's a hand I played yesterday. I recently sat down and had no read on my opponent. So, how's my line? Please comment on all streets, if you wish.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

BB ($118)
UTG ($89.50)
Button ($42.95)
Hero ($106.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $4.

Flop: ($11) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, Button calls $8.

Turn: ($27) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($27) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

Final Pot: $67

Dumle
Old 10-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Hand 1: So Many Kings

I would raise more preflop, to 6 or 7, given your bad position.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:25 PM

I think I would've chekd the flop cuz the only way he would call when you bet is if he had the pair of 8's , set of 8's, or trip kings and possibly a PP 99 to QQ but thats unlikely. A check will induce a call from a weaker hand on the turn or u can check again there if the board doesnt turn scarier and he will make a bluff at the pot. The check on the turn wasn't the greatest move either, I think it leaves yourself vulnerable if he bets the pot into you. With no reads u dont kno what he has when he bets big into u... so are u going to call with Aces all the way to showdown? I'd prefer to continue betting if I did bet the flop and if he raised me then I would toss it.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:31 PM

Wouldn't a bet at the flop be great for getting exactly that information? If he calls, you know there's a big chance you're behind. After he calls the flop I check the turn and fold to a large bet, if he checks behind on the turn I half pot the river and fold to a raise.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a bet at the flop be great for getting exactly that information? If he calls, you know there's a big chance you're behind. After he calls the flop I check the turn and fold to a large bet, if he checks behind on the turn I half pot the river and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point of the 1/2 pot bet on the river?
You've already shown weakness on the turn, and he called a large flop bet.

Why not just bet this on the turn instead after he possibly missed a draw?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:46 PM

If you don't bet the flop, it will keep the pot more controlled ( smaller ) . He wont be able to bet as big relative to the pot. Usually people wouldnt bet after someone checks with trips as well so the pot would stay the same for the turn. There's not much he can improve with to beat u if he is behind so i think the freecard in this case is good. If he did lead out on the flop after I check, I would not give him credit for the King and would call or raise dependin what i feel he has.

If you bet the flop and he calls and you check the turn that really seems to me like a Cbet and definite weakness. I would put in a pot sized bet with a flush draw after i calld on the flop and saw a check on the turn.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:48 PM

I would actually like to know the outcome
Old 10-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Firstly with an opponent open limping on the button I'd put him on any two cards. As a result I think your preflop raise is fine, you've got some money in the pot and forced him to define his hand a little. Raising to 6/7 folds pretty much every hand unless your opponent is on some retarded slowplay.

On the flop the continuation bet is standard, on a flop like this $7 is going to do the same as $12, most hands will fold unless they've caught a piece. Flat call in position is no good for you.

Turn is a blank so same situation as before. Can you gain by raising? Well first can you fold a better hand? No, clearly. Kings are calling/raising 8s-full is called. Can you get money from a worse hand? Possibly. Eights might call and if you opponent is a real idiot 99-QQ might call, since we have no read we can't assume he's a complete moron so I don't think a value bet has any value here. I'd check, you risk the flush draw catching which is obviously bad but its the lessor of two evils compared to betting again building a huge pot OOP against an unknown opponent. You're possibly drawing to only 2 outs.

The turn check from him is great news. Not many people are so bloodyminded as to slowplay trips twice. He probably has an 8 or a missed flush draw. With this read a check is clearly the best option, let him bluff/semibluff and call a reasonable bet. If he had K2/88/TT/55 then thats disapointing.

Nice hand
Old 10-13-2005, 03:17 PM

I think I would've chekd the flop cuz the only way he would call when you bet is if he had the pair of 8's , set of 8's, or trip kings and possibly a PP 99 to QQ but thats unlikely.

A flush draw will also call this flop, they love flush draws. And don't exclude QQ-99 that quickly, although he did fail to raise preflop which makes it unlikely that he holds one of these hands.

With no reads u dont kno what he has when he bets big into u... so are u going to call with Aces all the way to showdown?

Actually I planned to check-fold against a large bet and call if he bet less than half the pot. I thinkt that if he bets this turn, especially quite big, the probability that he holds a king over that of a flush draw is increased dramatically.

Dumle
Old 10-13-2005, 03:18 PM

if he checks behind on the turn I half pot the river and fold to a raise.

I don't like that strategy. If he checks behind on the turn, I think there's a great chance that he is indeed on a flush draw and it is much better for me to check and possibly pick off a bluff, no?

Dumle