Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2003, 10:51 AM

Default Flopping the nuts and getting reraised in Omaha

New to Omaha, playing PL cash game. Blinds €1/€1.

I have about €400, key opponent has slightly less.

I hold A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] , I make it €5 to go in seventh position. A few callers make the pot about €30.

Flop comes 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] ; the nut straight for me with a flush draw. Checked all round to me, I put in a pot sized €30 bet, everyone folds except for a fairly tight player who check-raises the pot, €90. I believe that this player reads me as loose-ish.

I reckon she must have the nuts, J 9, too. But what are her other two cards? Tens? Clubs?

What should I do in this situation?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Flopping the nuts and getting reraised in Omaha

I would just call. Even "fairly tight" players in this kind of situation will sometimes only have the nut straight and be trying to get all the money in on the flop so they don't have to think any more. More likely is the nut straight plus a flush draw (which will probably be bigger than yours) or 2 pair or a set, or a straight going higher with 9JQ.

It is possible that your opponent has a hand which is a total nightmare for you such as 9TcJQc, but other than that you are probably in one of those situations where you both have a number of cards you do NOT want to see on the turn or river. That being so, I think the key point about the hand is that you have position. If the board pairs or a flush comes on the turn and your opponent checks then you can bet yourself (as a bluff, or for value depending on what comes), and if your opponent bets you can pass (certainly pass if the board pairs and there is a bet).

Note that if your opponent has a bigger but non-nut flush draw she will find it hard to bet into you and may even have to pass if you bet.

All in all, your hand is probably a shade worse than your opponent's, but your position more than makes up for it in my opinion. This is especially so if your perception of the opponent as tight relates to her post-flop play.

Oh no!! Not Again!
Old 05-28-2003, 10:05 AM

Default Result

Thanks for the response.

I reraised all-in, reasoning thusly;
* she probably figures me for a loose-ish player, who could be betting with a lower straight and/or flush draw or even trips.
* her having the nut striaght and flush draw are unlikely as I hold the Jc and 9c - she'd need four 'perfect' cards.

I reckoned the only way to force her to lay down a flush draw and/or trips (without the J9) was to reraise. If she had the J9 AND trips or higher flush then I'm probably sunk.

I set her in for the rest of my chips. She called.

It turned out she had QJ9x, and no clubs.

She had four outs (two jacks, two nines). Any club and I had her stone cold.

The turn and river blanked, and we split the pot.