Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Taj Monday Morning Mini-Report

I decided to stop in Atlantic City on my way back up from DC to Northern NJ this weekend. I left DC around 7:30 to get to the Taj for sign-up for the 12:15 start time ($60+15)... I get there right on time, sign up, and decide to kill an hour at a 2/4 table.

I fold for the first two rounds. In twenty hands, I don't think there's a single pre-flop raise. I pick up J8o in the BB with two limpers and the SB. Flop comes J-T-8r. SB leads, I raise, UTG three-bets. Other limper folds, SB calls, I call. (In my limited observations, SB seems fairly solid, UTG is very fishy - limping in all positions with a huge range of hands). Turn is a rag. SB checks, I bet, both call. River is a Q, making the board J-T-8-x-Q. SB checks, I check, UTG bets, both call. UTG flips AKo, three betting with a gutshot and overs. Apparently he doesn't realize that pre-flop is the time to raise with AK... That pretty much set the tone for the day. Very card dead. Very few remarkable hands in the hour, but manage to cash out +$20...

The tournament:
I have two of the fishiest fish to my left and right, and especially to my left. This guy will limp with anything, and then call any raise if he limps and it's raised behind him. I fold for two straight rounds. I believe I play my first hand at the beginning of the third blind level (100/200 w/ 25 blinds).

I pick up KK in EP. I raise to 600. Left fish call, all fold. 1750 in pot.

Flop: J-10-6r

I lead for 1200. He calls. 4150 in pot.

Turn: J-10-6-(2)r

I push for my remaining ~2500. He thinks for a few seconds and calls. I flip my kings and he shows JQ. He doesn't improve and I double up.

In the next blind level (150/300 w/ 50 blinds). I raise UTG to 900 with AdJd. Left fish calls, button calls, blinds fold. 3950 in pot?

Flop A-5-5, one diamond. I lead with 2500. Two calls.

Turn A-5-5-7, two diamonds. I push. Two calls. I have them both covered. Uberfish flips 66. Button turns over AJ, but I have the diamond draw. Suffice it to say, the river is a third diamond and I triple up (kinda)...

I play cautiously, stealing blinds when the time is right. I believe this hand is at the same blind level. I raise to 900 UTG with KQs. The short stacked BB calls. Two to the flop, ~2500 in pot.

Flop: A-8-8, one diamond. BB checks, I bet 1200. He hesitates and calls.

Turn: A-8-8-Q. BB checks, I check.

River: A-8-8-Q-Q. BB bets 1500, I put him all in for 2000 more. He calls and mucks when I show my runner runner boat. Should have check raised the flop. I would have folded, obviously...

My stack is at ~31000 now. By far the biggest stack at the table, and in contention for the chip leader... Last hand before our table breaks...

Blinds 400-800 w/ 100 blinds? Button raises my BB to 2000. I call with JQo.

Flop: J-T-xr. BB checks out of turn. I bet 2200 (too little), he calls.

Turn: J-T-x-Kr. Grrr. Very fearful of that AK. I check with my pair and OESD. He bets 3K. I call.

River: BRICK!! He bets 3K, and kicking myself for making the perfect read and ignoring it, I pay off. I ask, "Ace King?" He nods and I muck. Shredded a third of my stack.

We change tables and my stack is none too impressive anymore, a little more than 20K. The blinds are getting higher and higher. I'm sitting next to one of the most annoying humans on earth. A young black guy in a Bullets jersey, talking about how he always checks it down in the blinds. Like, he'll verbally announce that he'll call the BB and check it down to the river. Seems like collusion to me, but everyone including the floor agreed that even with the verbal declaration, this is perfectly acceptable. I'm ashamed to say that I had K8 in the BB and he offered and I said okay and won the pot. I felt like a giant douche, so I told him that from now on I don't want to do that, and karma or not (which is why he claimed he offered this deal), I won't do it anymore. I guess I'm the [censored] for accepting his offer when it might benefit me (seeing as he had AJ in the SB and checked it down), but it didn't sit right.

The rest of the tourney was pretty uneventful. I was ground down twice when I called a short stack all in twice with a big favorite and got sucked out on. One of those situations where the win didn't mean a WHOLE lot, but the two small losses really hurt my already diminishing stack. In my last hand, the check-down guy raised the 4K blind to 10K, I raised all in with A6 for 1.5K more. He called with A4. He hit his 4 on the flop of all hearts. My ace was a heart. No six, no heart on the turn or river, and I bounced out in ~25th with cash going to 18+...

I played some 3/6 at a table with nine senior citizens. I won two hands - both turned gutshots against five other players. Ended -$30. Basically, a pretty uneventful and shitty trip...
Old 10-11-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Taj Monday Morning Mini-Report

mini-report? It was like War and Peace....really though, I think the 12:15 at the taj is a waste of time....you could play for 5 hours (as you probably did) and walk away with nothin. The last and final time I played in it, I played till 5:30, finished 9th and got 77 friggin dollars, BTW I think I know the annoying black guy that you're talking about, was he wearing the greg raymeresque glasses?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Taj Monday Morning Mini-Report

Yeah, I realized after it was done that it was not so mini...

No glasses on this guy. Big Bose headphones, though. And a discman, which I haven't seen in ages...