Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Spewing during blind defense?

Villain was TAGish 29/14/2 through only 30ish hands. I felt he could be raising with a wide range here.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 10-10-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Spewing during blind defense?

Here is what I do when I flop a pair HU in this kind of blind defense situation...

Check/call, check/call, check/call (betting on the end is acceptable) unless you improve.

Obviously there are times when you would deviate (i.e. you don't want to give a free card on a 3 flush board) , but this flop is not one of them. Of course this is how I play it and I'm not saying that is the best way, but it works very well against aggressive players who will keep betting (even with nothing). The only times I go nuts are when I have nothing or when I have a monster. IMO putting in tons of bets with just one pair isn't the best way to play in a small pot when either you will have 5 outs or he will have 6 outs the vast majority of the time. If he draws out on you in a 3 BB pot so be it.

The reason I play a good hand fast is to try and get action from a lesser good hand. So if I have 77 on a A76r board, I'll play it quick and hope to stack AK. If he has nothing, well that is just the way it goes. It is probably worth the risk of folding out KQ for those times that you get a grip of bets from a good ace. Likewise I'll play 98 fast on that board with the hopes of folding out KQ or QJ or whatever. With 87 or A5 I would play dumb and let him do his thing.

Brad
Old 10-10-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Spewing during blind defense?

My first instinct in these situations is to try and get overcards to fold. I've been playing a lot of 6 max lately, and I think I've gotten a bit overaggressive with middle pair in general.