Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2003, 05:09 PM

Default WSOP thoughts

If you're a poker player today is the first day of the new year. Congrats to Chris on his win yesterday, and I think I speak for everyone when I say, "We all hate you"<envy off>

The USA government has continue to make it tougher for online poker, but with WPT, PPM, and now the great showing from the PokerStars players at the WSOP, by the way did the Paradise seat winners show up? Online poker has grown some more this year. I keep thinking that the USA politicians will wake up and see what they are doing to an American game. Millions of dollars worth of jobs, software and hardware are sent offshore. With a reasonable cut of the rake revenue Nevada could also benefit with millions for their state budget.

I send e-mails to my congressmen in Utah, but they keep telling me about someone not being paid a few thousand dollars from these off-shore sites and that's why they want to toughen the laws against online gaming. I can't tell them that I lost $56K for this exact reason, but I would like them to see that what they are trying to do will not work. If they would only put what USA public wants first and put their morals second, the millions of Americans that play poker in their own homes could sleep better. We want American companies running online poker, with a state like Nevada overseeing it.

As to the possibility that Chris runs into trouble with these same politicians for gambling online, I say wooohoo. A respected member of the commuity, with money, is brought to task for playing poker online. Well, good luck right wing republicains, because most people don't think about the right and wrongs of online gaming, but I don't think most folks worry about someone in a professional field playing poker in his off hours in his own home.

END RANT

I think someone winning $2,500,000 for $80 online will bring the fortune seekers by the truck loads. Both UB and PS saw a TRIPLE in business on days when they were news. This helps any winning player and more important those below the break-even line.

I wish Russ Boyd had won, giving me a slight chance I would be paid, but an online player winning will make me some money all year long.

MS Sunshine
Old 05-24-2003, 05:26 PM

Default for MS Sunshine

Just wondering, Have you broken the news to the cats? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 05:31 PM

Default Re: WSOP thoughts

Yes, this is going to be HUGE for online poker. All of us who play online will benefit by the influx of new players who will think that it's easy to play and win a big tournament online.

As for the legal thing, I'm optimistic that once the word gets out, especially after the ESPN broadcast, that online poker will gain some legitimacy in the public eye and that it will put pressure on Congress to back off and maybe, just maybe even legalize it. Ah, that would be sweet, to live in a free country.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:49 PM

Default Re: for MS Sunshine

The cats have more important things to ponder, the humming birds are back. Current score:

Shadow 8 birds 0 humming birds

Shaggy 1 bird(he caught his at night.) 0 humming birds

Ginger 0 birds 0 humming birds

My picks for the coming year:

1. Humming birds Win(these guys are really fast)

2. Shadow(although his current strategy to sit as close to the humming bird feeder as possible may not be optimal)

3. If Shaggy's fat ass catches another bird, I'll stick my own fat ass in the woodchipper.

4. Ginger, who is male, but we thought he was female at first, can only catch a bird if it flys into his mouth.

I could put Xaanex into the humming bird feeders, and my cats would still not catch them. With that disclaimer, I may set-up a live web cam and have wagering on the outcome of the cats and the birds.

MS Sunshine

Old 05-24-2003, 07:12 PM

MS,

This is classic stuff, please keep us informed. My particular favourite snippet:

Shaggy 1 bird(he caught his at night.) 0 humming birds

If Shaggy's fat ass catches another bird, I'll stick my own fat ass in the woodchipper.

Quality.

Simon
Old 05-24-2003, 07:26 PM

Default Re: WSOP thoughts

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] i think you all are very naive politically...

it is easy to attack gambling and win votes; appear proper...

no one will support onlime gambling

best we can hope for is benevolent neglect...

lol

jmho..gl [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 07:28 PM

I may set-up a live web cam and have wagering on the outcome of the cats and the birds.

And who says we're degenerates?
Old 05-24-2003, 07:30 PM

Have you considered the possibility that Shadow caught all nine birds, but dropped one and left Shaggy to pick it up?

Lori
Old 05-24-2003, 07:38 PM

LOL, that reminds me of the cats in my family. Pebbles and Sally (females) are the professional mousers and Fluffy (male) chases moths and butterflies around the garden. The only time Fluffy gets any mouse action is when the two female cats get bored of their catches. Same story with birds too, so you could well be right Lorinda.

Simon
Old 05-24-2003, 07:59 PM

Ah....HA

I think you're on to something here, but I'm still amazed that my big-butted cat could catch a dead bird.

MS Sunshine