Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2003, 05:53 PM

Default What would you do in this situation?

online multi table tourney. I forget the blinds. around 800/1600.
I'm sorry for not having more facts, but I just cant remember them.

40 players left, 20 places pay. I'm 17th in chips.4500k

Early position raises, mp calls, I reraise with KK. EP goes allin about 5k, mp calls allin (had fewer chips).

What would you do? Call and try to secure top 10 or muck and wait for a better opportunity?

I called. EP had AQd, MP had KQh and I lost to ace on the flop.

I'm not posting this as a bad beat story. I feel I had the best hand, and got drawn out. It happens. Just wanted to get feedback on the situation.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Re: What would you do in this situation?

I think I am missing the question, cause after the raise and re-raise, the all-in is attacking . . . well I calculate at nothing left in your stack (1600 + 1600 (raise) + 1600 (re-raise), = 4800 out of 4500). If your stack is even "next to nothing" you are committed, IMO.

If the raise puts you to a real decision, for a real change in tournament status, then you just have to start asking yourself what you think the guy is going all in with over your re-raise. As we have seen earlier, I am not good at answering these "judgment" questions. AA, QQ (thin), other PPs (?), AK, AQ. You are the favorite against everything other than the 6 AA pairs. So if, for example, the all in means AA, QQ, AK or AQ the total universe of hands out for the action is 36 (6 AA pairs, 6 QQ pairs, 8 AK combos, 16 AQ combos). 16.67% you are a 4/1 dog; 16.67% you are a 4/1 favorite and 66.67% you are something like a 7/3 favorite. If the all-in is coming from a player in some kind of desperate straits, your odds are even better. You might want to "weight" the probability of this player raising all-in with AA vs. the action he would take with QQ or AQ (for example, maybe he is all-in 100% of the time with AA; but your evaluation of him is that he would 80% probable to go all-in with QQ). The math is tedious but doable -- mostly it provides an after the fact diversion, as you are probably not going to bring out a calculator at the table.

The odds he has AA are at least 1 in 6 (unless there is a desperation factor in play) and probably greater. The odds that he has any A are around 5 in 6 and probably certain (unless he is matching KK, which I left out) and almost certainly no less than 2 in 3 (again unless there is some desperation factor).

You are unlikely to get a better hand than KK for the duration of the tournament, although there will certainly be hands where the others will have less strength than they do here.

Old 05-23-2003, 06:58 PM

Default Re: What would you do in this situation?

you might be interested to read the wsop laydown thread in the zoo

andy glazer laid down KK after an all in raise of his raise