Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Hand vs. Fsuplayer

Home game with blinds of $1/$2. I have around $800 to start the hand.

I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG and raise to $20. Earlier in the night my aces were busted by a set for a good pot so I am a little tentative.

Fsuplayer, two to my left, is the only caller and has me covered. He hasn't been playing as LAG as usually but is still the most capable player at the table. He has no respect for money at this point in the night...calling with rags and stealing pots from players with any hint of weakness. Nonetheless, he's the last person I want to square off with even with aces.

Flop:5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check. He bets $30. I CR to $70. He calls quickly.

Turn:3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet $150. He makes it $400. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

If I call here, then I'll only be left with around $300 on the river with ~$1000 already in the pot. I think this is a situation where I am either slightly ahead or way behind so I am left with two options.

1. Push all-in.
2. Fold with my tail between my legs.

I think made some horrible mistakes in this hand with my betting. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
-Obnxnole-
Old 10-08-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Hand vs. Fsuplayer

you raised to $20 pf, fwiw, which usually means either complete crap, or a top five hand.

and the turn you bet 150, which i raised to 400.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think made some horrible mistakes in this hand with my betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say so. you seem to not understand the concept of committment. you say you are tentative from an earlier beat, and im sure fsu knows that you fear him. he says he knows you have a top 5 hand, so you should know that he knows that, and play accordingly.

the fact that he makes this committing raise, and you are stuck, means that you wanted to play a small pot. in that case, why did you check raise on the flop? why let the pot escalate so quickly by betting the turn? what was your plan?
Old 10-08-2005, 02:55 PM

I don't understand the smallish flop check raise. These are usually reserved for when you've been playing lag and your opponents don't believe you have an over pair, or an over pair larger then theirs.

If you do check raise, its gotta be a lot bigger, 120+ IMO. You've defined your hand and gave the villian a good price to draw. He's not going to continue with the hand unless he hits his draw or already has you beat. If you check raised more you'd probably end the hand right there if you were ahead, which is what you wanted right?
Old 10-08-2005, 02:58 PM

why did you checkraise the flop?
Old 10-08-2005, 03:33 PM

as played, you must fold the turn....

the preflop raise: was 10xBB standard or did you make the type of raise that "announced" your hand - which is a bad idea in a game where your opponent is good, has position on you, and both of you are deep....I like the flop check, but for pot control reasons - not to make a weakish checkraise and bloat the pot some more and gain no info on a board with a pair, a flush draw, and a straight draw.....you basically played the hand in a way that gave FSU a nice chance to either take the pot away from you or win a decent pot with a hand that had you drawing nearly dead.....FWIW, I would've check/called the flop, check/called the turn, and then made a big bet on the river (pot-sized, but now the pot would still be pretty small relative to your stacks).......
Old 10-08-2005, 05:44 PM

the game is a 1-2 300 max NL game, but you can buy in to cover the biggest stack at anytime. it really plays like a 5-5 game, esp. the last half of the night, but the other guys wouldnt play if it was 5-5, so i digress.

anyways, std raise it from 10-15, with 20-25 not too uncommon after a bunch of limpers.

but he opened for 20, so there's a pretty good chance he has something he likes alot.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not really sure which is why I am in these forums trying to get better. I suppose it was an in the moment thing I guess.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not really sure which is why I am in these forums trying to get better. I suppose it was an in the moment thing I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. I do that alot too, then regret it.

problem with the hand however was the flop checkraise, as others have said... once you check, calling is better, but I'd rather just lead out.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:26 AM

A good line with aces here, and smaller stacks, is to bet the flop, and check-raise the turn allin. But you're too deep for that.

Bet flop, then check/call down is a decent line against a superwild stealy guy.

Check/raising the flop tells him pretty much what you have, so it lets him play perfectly and inflates the pot, which can be dangerous.

Why not limp/rr preflop UTG with AA if you're this deep? Sounds like there's a lot of raising in this game. If you don't get a reraise in, you can just play it for a small pot.