Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 01:21 AM

Default TT flops a set vs PF cap

Villan is TAG.

Looking for a line that extracts the most in this situation.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?
Old 10-08-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: TT flops a set vs PF cap

I think leading the flop is best. I'd cap the turn and bet/call the river.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:59 AM

I like the check/call on the flop, but to set up a bet/3-bet on the turn. If you donk the turn against a thinking player he will often raise, either for a free showdown or thinking KK or AA is good.

AQ is also worth consideration, although most TAGs don't cap it, villain does have position and it is a blind steal situation. I think villain would raise the turn with this holding and possibly call down your 3-bet.

You likely make more from JJ with a check/raise (which reveals more strength than simply betting the turn), but villain might fold the turn if you do that where he might call down after you bet out the turn. You might also lose a bit against AK, depending on how villain interprets your turn bet, since it looks like a play to stop a free card. Even though these hands can reasonable be considered close to half of villain's hand range, the bets you make when he's in the other half are worth more than the ones you lose when he's on JJ or AK I think. (Especially if he catches a king on the river.)

The only hand you're in trouble against is QQ, and if you consider the hand ranges there are more combinations you are ahead of than behind, so don't be afraid to put in bets.

As the hand played out I agree with the advice that the turn is a clear cap and the river is a bet/call.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:01 AM

Bet/call the flop.

Bet/3-bet the turn.

Lead the river.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:01 AM

I'd call and CR him on the river, call a 3-bet.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:43 AM

I think it's unlikey that JJ 3-bets the turn here (you've shown strength so he can't feel confident that he's ahead).

Most likely hands are AA, KK, QQ. Less likely is AK hearts. I think he might 3-bet the turn thinking some of his overcard outs are live, in addition to the straight and flush draws.

This is an interesting one to play if A or K comes on the river.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check/call the flop.

Bet/3-bet the turn.

Lead the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he caps the turn, then check-call river.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:43 AM

i like jason ts line of bet call the flop...i bet reraise call a cap on the turn....i bet call a raise on river
Old 10-08-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check/call the flop.

Bet/3-bet the turn.

Lead the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he caps the turn, then check-call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jason's line with this addendum seems the best in terms of maximizing what we can extract on the turn. The turn C/R gets one less BB than the stop and go approach (wow, why did I not know this already?).

I think Joker's comment is relevant since at some point we need to account for the small % of him having QQ. If he caps the the turn while we're using this line, I think that would demonstrate resonably enough that we should definitely slow down.

Thx.