Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Strange play against a shortstacked maniac

Villain had raised the past 6 pots in a row, and before that in the last 26 hands had gone 70/40 while losing about 50BB in the process. He'd shown down a lot of junk. I really really want to get to showdown here. It's very possible that I missed a river value bet. Other two villains were loose and shitty.

Don't discuss preflop.
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 10-06-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Strange play against a shortstacked maniac

If convinced he was just doing this with junk, I suppose I just call down after the flop C/R, but I wasn't sitting at the table with this guy, so it appears you had a very strong read to 3-bet with overcards.

The fact that he caps the flop and leads the turn is very scary. The turn call you made seems pretty shaky with just A high.

His river check is encouraging - I hope you were right ...
Old 10-06-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If convinced he was just doing this with junk, I suppose I just call down after the flop C/R, but I wasn't sitting at the table with this guy, so it appears you had a very strong read to 3-bet with overcards.

The fact that he caps the flop and leads the turn is very scary. The turn call you made seems pretty shaky with just A high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just calling the flop checkraise sucks. A lot.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:18 PM

Your confidence in A high with a Ten kicker agianst a flop CR and and a turn bet against any villain is quite inspiring....
Old 10-06-2005, 05:20 PM

Since when are we open-raising under the gun with ATo???
Old 10-06-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since when are we open-raising under the gun with ATo???

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.Don't discuss preflop.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the flop response to the check-raise is entirely dependant on your reads of the other two players. You need to be quite sure that they will fold overcards to two cold, and hence allow you to clean up outs, in order for this play to be correct. Realize that the pot has gotten huge by this point and it's going to be quite difficult to make them fold.

If you figure that one or both of them will call some large proportion of the time, raising serves to do nothing more than forces yourself to put in one and often two more bets on what amounts to nothing more than a VERY tenuous draw (as once they call it is unlikely you'll win the hand unimproved or even that you are ahead any significant portion of the time).
Old 10-06-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your confidence in A high with a Ten kicker agianst a flop CR and and a turn bet against any villain is quite inspiring....

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't any villain, and if the rest of your posts are as banally worthless as this one the sooner you stop posting in this thread the better.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:06 PM

I agree with Deranged that you need to be able to fold the other two players facing two cold. If so, then I like it a lot. Ace high against this guy is enough. I would want to showdown cheaply and I too would miss a value bet on river.

If the other two come along you are in trouble. Way too many cards that could hurt or at least help out loose bad players enough that they wouldn't consider folding at this point.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I even bothered. I did temper my opinion with saying that I was not on the table and that since you were, you likely had a strong read.

It seems your mind is already made up that you did the right thing - are you looking for constructive critique or validation?