Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Micro LO8 - My first hand post

Well, I've played an orbit and a half, played one hand in LP where I scooped, and this is the very next hand. No reads, no idea how to play. I play holdem of course.

The hand right before this was the first I'd played outside the blinds. Had 6c 4d 3c 2c and board was Qc5h4s 2d Ah.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls $0.15 (All-In), UTG+1 calls.
<font color="blue"> Things are getting dicey here, but I have a boat and if a 4 drops, I got the low. </font>

River: (15.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, UTG+1 calls.
<font color="blue"> After the cap, I wanted to fold, but I don't have a good reason for it. Would this guy jam a flush like this? </font>

Final Pot: 29.50 BB
<font color="blue"> I did a lot of calling here, and seem to be doing a lot more of it in LO8 than I ever did in LHE. </font>
Old 10-06-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Micro LO8 - My first hand post

If a 4 drops on the turn A5 would have the nut low, you would have 8432A. In fact, 76, 75 A7, 65 and A6 would beat your hand for the low.

Since you are only playing for the high half of the pot with a weak hand I would fold on the flop after my A2 was counterfeited. I am an O8 noob also so you might want to disregard my advice. If wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:12 AM

Thanks, I was thinking that someone would tell me to fold on the turn or definitely on the river. I hadn't even considered folding a set on the flop.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:11 AM

interesting hand - I'm also a noob but I think I would have folded out of confusion and knowing that every thing I look at I have a non nut against a lot of players.

Yea you have a boat but with those cards SOMEBODY as a 3 and a higher boat. The only time I get excited about 3 of a kind is if its TOP.

So on the turn you need 2 cards for a low and you have a non-nut high.

Very nice hand to post - thanks - waiting for the more experienced guys to chime in.

Note on folding in confusion. So far everytime I get confused and fold knowing that I do not have a nut - I have thanked myself, and everytime I have stuck it out my non-nut hand is a loser.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:56 AM

On the flop: at this level, I would not expect most to fold if they have anything playable, so you're not going to bet out anyone with your set of deuces. You're playing for 1/2 the pot at best in all likelihood. And anyone with a flush draw will hang around, even more likely if they also have a low draw. I think it's an easy fold on the flop after the player to your right bets.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:04 PM

I would add that one of the skills that one must acquire when beginning to play LO8 seriously is the ability to lay down hands that look pretty but most likely will wind up costing you money. This hand is one of them.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:15 PM

wouldn't surprise me at all if you're up against A38x or A3Jx, also possible at that level to see 4588, 34Jx, 348x etc.
Niss is right, sometimes you just gotta let it go...
Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 PM

niss has that one correct. I had to fold a set last night on the flop and it took all my will power to do it. It goes against everything I know in hold'm. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

After losing 4 or 5 times that way I learned.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:12 PM

I also agree with Niss.

But I would have played this hand differently.

In the cutoff with all those people in front of me, I would have raised preflop.

Would it have knocked out the blinds...I don't know, but it would have put the rest of the table on the defensive right away. There is a very good chance that if you raised preflop, that the action would have checked to you...and I would have checked along to get a free look at the turn.

Since you showed no strength, there was a bet in front of you on the flop....I would have folded.

You had good position and good cards and didn't use it.

Dave
Old 10-06-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave - I think with this starting hand you can raise pre-flop or not.

[ QUOTE ]
Would it have knocked out the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really want to knock out the blinds with this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
...I don't know, but it would have put the rest of the table on the defensive right away. There is a very good chance that if you raised preflop, that the action would have checked to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why you might not want to raise before the flop with this hand. (You put the rest of the table on the defensive right away).

This is not particularly a great flop for this hand. If you did get a great flop, would you want the rest of the table putting you on the cards you hold and playing accordingly?

The hand is strong enough to raise before the flop, and there are clearly some advantages to playing that way at some tables, maybe including micro tables. But I think when you play the micro limits you're trying to learn how to do well in real games for higher stakes - and I think you generally do better overall by not tapping the fish tank before the flop from the cut-off position with this particular hand.

Overall, you'll make more on the first betting round by raising with a starting hand of this quality. However, there are four betting rounds, not just one.

Just my opinion.

Buzz