Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Playing Poker on Auto Pilot

Have you ever been on your cell phone while driving somewhere & don’t remember the trip there.

While playing a few tables, I find myself concentrating on one table for awhile & can’t remember what has happened on the others. I go into auto pilot mode & just fold the crap hands away & not even think twice about it.

Just something I noticed I was doing, anyone else?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Playing Poker on Auto Pilot

Same here, sometimes I'll fold a pretty big hand that I should be upset about it (say, flopped set, runner-runner 4-flush/straight on board), then I won't even remember it happened because I had so many hands on other tables since.

I also can only concentrate on one table at a time (finding the fish), but I've only recently began putting in serious table hours (6+ hours per day), up to that I played a max of 4 on weekends. Maybe that'll help.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:34 PM

You'd think this would be bad for your play, but I find it actually helps mine. Helps me stay playing tight and it also makes tough folds easier because I've got 3 other hands to attend to. But for those of you who 8 table, how do you do it? I've done 5 and I was okay, it was a little hectic. I usually play 4. Where is everyone's limit?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd think this would be bad for your play, but I find it actually helps mine. Helps me stay playing tight and it also makes tough folds easier because I've got 3 other hands to attend to. But for those of you who 8 table, how do you do it? I've done 5 and I was okay, it was a little hectic. I usually play 4. Where is everyone's limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agreed. Multitabling is a great way to ward off that nasty little devil that keeps whispering "Q8s is playable from MP!! The flush draw might show up and then wouldn't it be fun to play??"

With lots of action, the borderline/second-best hands get mucked routinely again and again.

I can only handle three tables, but I'm just a couple weeks into it. At very low limits, the number of chip spewers is so high that ABC poker does very well and even ABZ poker makes money.

Of course, there are the occasional multitabling bursts of idiocy. Two nights ago I fold to some guy's flop reraise and then realize to my horror that we're isolated and he had only 1 cent left in his stack. Literally, Yeah, maybe he was ahead, but I'd already bought the hand. Might as well play it out.

Arrgh.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 PM

I've done up to 14 full ring because I am a total idiot.

I won, but it was so hectic it wasn't worth it. This was only one time btw...i've done 12 tables a few other times and usually 8 table.

I am back to playing 6-8 now because I've been playing lower limits to build my bankroll and to save a little as I just went full time pro three months ago.

When I get back to 10-20 and higher I will play no more than 4, but probably 2-3.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I get back to 10-20 and higher I will play no more than 4, but probably 2-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

For someone capable of 12 tabling, I'm not convinced that playing 2-3 tables will result in significantly better play than 5-6 tables. 2 or 3 tables, you'll be waiting for a hand to play almost all the time.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:31 AM

In my opinion "auto-pilot" should occur. It should be your "zone" where nothing phases you, and you just make the best decisions.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've done up to 14 full ring because I am a total idiot.

I won, but it was so hectic it wasn't worth it. This was only one time btw...i've done 12 tables a few other times and usually 8 table.

I am back to playing 6-8 now because I've been playing lower limits to build my bankroll and to save a little as I just went full time pro three months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play full ring or 6-max? Just curious.