Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 08:16 AM

Default A discussion of \"high card\" PT stats

After moving to 3/6 SH I have been reducing my river folds considerably when heads-up, with good pot odds etc. Of course this resulted in calling more with A-high for example. Looking at my PT stats it seems that my high card stats ("show only hands that were not folded" checked) are slightly on the negativeside. This could be just variance (<20K hands sample) but my main point is:

Do I need to worry about having negative stats?
Say I have A-high and it is 1 bet to me on the river. If I call and win then fine. If I call and lose then I hit the neagtive. If I fold then the stats stay unchanged but in fact I may have lost a big pot, however this will never be reflected on my stats. So I can have green stats and be happy but in fact I'm losing big pots to river bluffs and on the other hand I can have negative stats and look for a "leak" in my game where in fact I managed to reduce my actual losses.

So if this post makes any sense to you (sorry for my imperfect english writing skills) do you agree or not?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: A discussion of \"high card\" PT stats

Bump
(My English must really suck...)
Old 10-04-2005, 01:57 PM

I think I get what you're saying, it's that you can't really assess what the delta EV of folding versus calling is if you fold all the time. You have to call a lot, which may be a losing proposition, before you know.

At different times in my poker career, I have had breakeven spells which lasted weeks, mostly because life distractions outside of poker were stopping me from playing my A game at those times. During those times I often played in, how shall we say, "unique" ways. Because I wasn't playing my A game, I was playing in many other, "tilty" ways, and so I was trying many different things. Some of those things have proved to be +EV, and have found their way into my poker skillset. So, in a month where I was so busy and distracted that I wasn't going to make any money anyways, I could have just shut off the computer for a while and came back later... but instead I developed new skills, which have surely increased my winrate going forward. The only catch is, you don't want to let yourself develop bad habits that stick. I'm not sure if this helps... maybe my english is as bad as yours. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 02:48 PM

What is your W$SD% w/high card? I think mine's ~20%. Also, over how large a sample are you negative? To anyone else that plays 3/6 and sees this, what is your W$SD% w/high card, and what is the average amount won per hand shown down? For this, take the amount won for high card with "Hands not folded" checked. Divide this number by the total high-card hands shown down. If it is over a big enough sample, it might help point towards an optimal amount. Thanks.

WiteKnite