Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Playing fast and folding against a donk(8/b)

I was playing Stud8/b this morning when this hand came up.

A very bad regular on PS brings it in with the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It is folded around to me directly on their right with the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] up. I raise. I have 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the hole. The villian can have almost any pair, high cards, suited cards, basically almost anything. They are weak passive and I am hyper-active. We have a long history together. I know he sucks at this game, and he thinks I play worse than he does, but knows I am not retarded because I once tapped on their glass(in a serious one hour lecture/S8 tutorial type way) by accident when I was steaming. He still plays very bad though. Out of all the hands we played this summer he only got out of line once if my memory serves me correct, but also makes a lot of very strange plays.

On 4th I catch the T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], but villian also catchs bad so I bet and I am called.

On 5th the boards looked like this.

8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
XXX XXX 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I hee-hawwed for a second and made what I at the time thought was a very thin value bet which I of course knew would be called if they had any pair or heart at this point. Villian ALWAYS takes one off with 3-low and I hoped to pick up the pot but that didnt work. Villian has something. Wild educated guesses would include small pair with heart draw, big pair with or without heart draw(KK,QQ,TT), just a heart draw with low cards in the hole, just a couple low cards in the hole.

On 6th street I make 8s up but I am bet into by my opponents now open 44s. I fold and make what I considered to be a 'medium sized' laydown.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Playing fast and folding against a donk(8/b)

Based on your read, the villian will not fold 4th. If you check, and he's passive, he may well check behind. Why bet? Are you getting value? If the pot is small, decisions on 5th are easier. If you check 4th, his fifth call is a bigger mistake. Or maybe if you bet 4th, is he more more likely to fold 5th (as a check represents the failed ante steal.) Am I making sense here? I would usually bet 4th, but I'm thinking out loud about checking.

I don't like the fold, but it's not terrible.

BTW, use the hand converter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]