Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Default commerce 40/80, trouble seeing the cards

Typical commerce game. 3 or 4 guys completely out of their element; one solid and tricky pro; couple of overaggresive players. The pro in the game is directly on my left.

A returning player posts in the hijack (one of the guys who wandered over from the 9/18 game.) There are two limperrs plus the poster, i look at ATo think about raising and complete, pro checks. Flop comes 8h Qh 9d. I check, pro checks, its checked around.

At this point i look at my hand again cause i think i have the Th - turns out i actually have ATh. Damn. Turn is an offsuit 6. I lead, pro raises, folded around to me. I think that theres a good chance the pro is raiseing with an extremely weak hand here cause he puts me on a steal. I 3 bet he calls.

River is an offsuit 3, i bet hoping he can find a fold with a 6, 8, maybe a 9...

clearly i blew it preflop. I would certainly have raised with ATs and i think in retrospect that a raise with ATo is justified, if only to get the bb to fold. I didnt, so lets take it from the flop.

doodle
Old 10-03-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: commerce 40/80, trouble seeing the cards

[ QUOTE ]
Typical commerce game. 3 or 4 guys completely out of their element; one solid and tricky pro; couple of overaggresive players. The pro in the game is directly on my left.

A returning player posts in the hijack (one of the guys who wandered over from the 9/18 game.) There are two limperrs plus the poster, i look at ATo think about raising and complete, pro checks. Flop comes 8h Qh 9d. I check, pro checks, its checked around.

At this point i look at my hand again cause i think i have the Th - turns out i actually have ATh. Damn. Turn is an offsuit 6. I lead, pro raises, folded around to me. I think that theres a good chance the pro is raiseing with an extremely weak hand here cause he puts me on a steal. I 3 bet he calls.

River is an offsuit 3, i bet hoping he can find a fold with a 6, 8, maybe a 9...

clearly i blew it preflop. I would certainly have raised with ATs and i think in retrospect that a raise with ATo is justified, if only to get the bb to fold. I didnt, so lets take it from the flop.

doodle

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never raise this PF. I don't understand the turn 3-bet, you are putting in an awful lot of bets to bluff at a small pot. I would call the turn raise and fold river UI.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:10 PM

I like the turn 3 bet, for the reasons you stated. I'm surprised that he called. The river is difficult. If he only had a small pair then I don't see why he would call the turn 3 bet since he'd have to be afraid he's drawing dead.

There are a couple hands he could have that would make a river bet good, something like small pair + gutshot, e.g. T8.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:19 PM

jesus man look at your carsd before acting.
raise preflop, yes.
bet flop, duh.
i like the turn threebet, dont feel too bad if he looked you up with T8 or something else ridiculous...
if he calls flip your hand and say "i missed," rather than just tapping the table "you got me" or whatever... let them see your not gonna get out of line like this without a HUGE draw and maybe youll keep your image somewhat intact.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop, yes.
bet flop, duh.
i like the turn threebet, dont feel too bad if he looked you up with T8 or something else ridiculous...
if he calls flip your hand and say "i missed," rather than just tapping the table "you got me" or whatever... let them see your not gonna get out of line like this without a HUGE draw and maybe youll keep your image somewhat intact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like raising preflop with ATs in the SB. But I agree with everything else here.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:37 PM

ATs will have a large edge here, whats not to like
Old 10-03-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop, yes.
bet flop, duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-03-2005, 09:57 PM

I think raising ATo from the SB with 3 limpers around in is a bad idea. ATs is fine.
If the pro is capable of raising the turn here with hands like T9/T8/J9/J8 etc and capable of folding a blank river, then your line is fine. It sounds like he's probably capable of it.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think raising ATo from the SB with 3 limpers around in is a bad idea

[/ QUOTE ]

Even when they have worse than normal hands as there is a poster and you have a shot at limiting it to 3 players if BB and the poster folds ?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 AM

"cause he puts me on a steal"

You bet into 4 other people.