Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 01:10 PM

Default My first observations and questions about my move to 3/6

Well I made the move from 2/4 to 3/6 on Sunday and I've played about 2,000 hands. My first observation is how ridiculously more aggressive it is. When I moved from 1/2 -> 2/4 I thought it was bad but this is ridiculous. People are alot tighter as well.

Anyway... My questions. When I played 2/4 I had stats of about 17/9. Moving up with there aggression I feel that I can't limp as often and I've tighten up alot. My stats are like at 13/10. Is this profitable? Can I win money in the long run with stats like these?

Also I get folded to in the MP all the time and I'm stuck with hands like A2-7s... K/Js, K/Jo, A/10o. Do you raise or limp with any of these hands? I've been laying down alot of suited aces and I feel that I'm losing EV by doing that. So what do you do with those hands in those positions?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: My first observations and questions about my move to 3/6

Just because people are raising more, doesn't mean they are getting better hands more.

Whatever you have learned to be good strategy for opening hands in MP still applies, however, you have to adjust your postflop play and react differently to being three bet by what you know to be an overly aggressive player.

Oh, and never open limp from MP. I'll gladly raise A7s+, KJo+, KJs+, A7o+ from MP, (often folding A7,A8 from early MP).
Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 PM

Don't openlimp from MP. Really don't openlimp at all unless you have a good reason. Fold the weak stuff (A2s-A7s) unless you have reason to raise. KJs/KJ/AT are usually raises. 66 can be a raise. Think about openraising at least 88+, KJs+, KQo, A9s+, AJo+ in EP. The correct balance depends a lot on gauging table conditions, which is a skill unto itself.

Suited aces are solid in large multiway pots because they make flushes and aces up. If the postflop is 2-3 handed, with you limping and calling a raise behind, you're in a -EV spot.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I made the move from 2/4 to 3/6 on Sunday and I've played about 2,000 hands. My first observation is how ridiculously more aggressive it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that 3/6 is aggro, just wait until you make your next few moves up.

The other guys are right. If it's folded to you in MP you should normally only choose between folding and raising. Axs, suited broadways, medium pairs or better along with your "normal" raising hands should cause you to hit the raise button.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well I made the move from 2/4 to 3/6 on Sunday and I've played about 2,000 hands. My first observation is how ridiculously more aggressive it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that 3/6 is aggro, just wait until you make your next few moves up.

The other guys are right. If it's folded to you in MP you should normally only choose between folding and raising. Axs, suited broadways, medium pairs or better along with your "normal" raising hands should cause you to hit the raise button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, welcome to real poker dude [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My stats over my last 150k hands at 3/6 are like 16/8.5 and I am doing over 1.5bb/100. There is a TON of adjusting you have to do.

In my experience, online 3/6 plays very much like live 10/20 or even some live 20/40 games. However, it is very possible to beat the game in the long run as even though the players are better preflop they are just as terrible postflop.

Time to start practicing table selection and posting hands. The biggest key is learning when to call down and when to fold, as you won't always be the aggressor in the hand like you were in 2/4.

People disagree, but I think going from 2/4 to 3/6 online is the toughest jump. Going from 3/6 to 5/10 to 10/20 to 15/30 online was much easier for me personally, but everyone plays different.

GL,

Jon
Old 10-03-2005, 02:36 PM

It is alot more aggressive here, I noticed a much bigger difference making the move from 2/4 to 3/6 than 3/6 to 5/10. There are alot of lags playing 3/6 and that's where I made most of my money.
Your stats (13/10) are really not too bad given your sample size, and you can be profitable playing that tight, I try to be somewhere in the vicinity of 15 vpip. I'm at 14.5ish/9 over about 10k hands and beat it for a little over 3bb/100. It's doable. Game selection will play a much bigger role at this level as well.
G'luck to ya.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 PM

raise, raise, oh and did I mention to raise?

Aggression will keep you ahead and feared at 3/6. it will also mean they bluff less at you. I had 2 leaks in my game and they were both capped. not defending my BB enough and not raising enough preflop.

Fish A limps in MP2 and you got KTo on the button, don't limp raise the bastard. 90% of the time he has a worse hand and you got position. A4s I raise same situation. JTs I raise. Almost any hand that I would make a raise from the CO with 1 limper I raise. 2 limpers changes things as more than not the blinds will call.

You know what happens when you raise so much?

Some guys will actually toss their hands after calling already. Strange but I love it.

I wrote an article on it for my site.
http://www.texasholdempoker-stats.co...ng_button.html
*** Got to do some editing still

3/6 is full of good players, idiot LAGs, and tricky fish. You have to be the aggressor and keep them in fear. $$$ per 100 have gone up and I play easier.

I don't like limping from any position being 1st in.

1st in from MP I like raising with hands like AK-AT, A9s, 2 paint suited, KQo, KJo, 77-AA.

MP3 I might raise with QJo, 66, A8s, A7s if those behind me are tight enough to fold of let me know when I am beat. I don't want some LAG, cold calling fish, or tricky player with AQ coming in the pot. LAG I can't believe, fish will call down with the best hand, tricky will wait till the turn to raise you.

Watch the players. 3/6 you really have to keep an eye on them. You have to start playing the player. Takes a while to get used to. I taught a friend poker and he just hit 3/6. 1st 2000 hands he got his ass kicked till he adjusted.

I play 3/6 SH, even harder but the fish are more plentiful. They call down with bottom pair and ace high. The bluffers are wonderful because all you have to do is call them down with anything reasonable to come out ahead in the long run.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:49 PM

3/6 is definitely more aggressive than 2/4. There really is a large difference between the two. I also agree that there are not as many spots to limp, especially in EP. At 2/4, at most tables I felt comfortable limping small pairs and some suited aces in EP. But often times at 3/6, you'll be isolated doing that. And who wants to play 33 HU or 3-way OOP? Or do you play 87s in the CO after 1 limper? So my stats have changed from 17.7/9.5 at 2/4 to about 15.9/10.7 at 3/6. I'm not happy with my VPIP being that low because I'm sure I'm leaving some money on the table, but I'm having a hard time finding profitable places to loosen up. I'm stealing and defending more and more, which becomes much more important at this level.

I started out well at 3/6, but I've basically broke even my last 12,000 hands or so(about 30k total @3/6. That is my longest such breakeven streak, so I'm beginning to wonder if it is simply variance or if there is something seriously wrong with my game that is just now being exposed.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:53 PM

I have often thought that there could be a "moving from 2/4 to 3/6" FAQ, since all you here (as well as my own experience) point to this jump in limits being the most dramatic one of all in small stakes.

Now all we need are those that have made it successfully to write one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 04:40 PM

I sat down in a couple of 3/6 games, just to see how they were.

I guess that I would call them almost weak/tight. At the higher limits you will regularly see table avg VP$IP of 25% or higher and PFR% 13ish%

The tables I was at had VP$IP of under 20% and PFR or less than 10%. I could play a few more hands up front without fear of a raise behind me and I could bluff a little more than I normally do. Of course, it helps if you have already shown down some good hands.

So while I can't speak for the move from 2/4 to 3/6, these games are still pretty soft compared to anything higher.

So get used to the aggression, learn to be more aggressive then the others are, and crush the game for a while. Just be ready for it all over again on your next move up.