Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 01:04 AM

Default QQ overpair in a big pot

BB: 21/3/1.25
CO: 33/33/1 (Not many hands tho)
MP2: 34.5/5/0.76

How badly did I play this?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (20 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (18 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (22 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 25 BB
Old 10-03-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: QQ overpair in a big pot

How many hands do you have on BB? I start calling down from the flop 3 bet. I like the flop raise.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I start calling down from the flop 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say this too, but given the opportunity to face the other 3 players with two more bets, isn't it worth a cap?

edit: n/m, I guess if they cold called 2 bets on the flop already they aren't going to fold for 2 more.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:50 AM

I think we're usually behind when he 3 bets, plus what you said about them not folding for 2 more.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many hands do you have on BB? I start calling down from the flop 3 bet. I like the flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many .. ~50
Old 10-03-2005, 01:53 AM

Have you read SSHE? This seems like the "Two Overpair Hands" section, where you have a hand where it may be worth calling the flop and raising the turn. The pot is huge, and your flop raise won't knock anyone out, but your turn raise might.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you read SSHE? This seems like the "Two Overpair Hands" section, where you have a hand where it may be worth calling the flop and raising the turn. The pot is huge, and your flop raise won't knock anyone out, but your turn raise might.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the chapter in SSHE, but in my experience it just never works, people think that everyone is behind, or that if they hit any of their overcards they win this huge pot, they just wont fold. So I just raise the flop and raise the turn: I don't expect anyone to fold, it's just for value. I think this works in live games more where the fish are typically playing with somewhat scard money, but online it just isn't real enough for them.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:42 AM

I don't know if I would have capped with so many players pre-flop. Capping is only going to guarantee that they never will fold this hand, the pot odds are just way too high. However, I do agree with checking/calling the flop and reraising or check-raising the turn.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I would have capped with so many players pre-flop. Capping is only going to guarantee that they never will fold this hand, the pot odds are just way too high. However, I do agree with checking/calling the flop and reraising or check-raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said in the previous post, in my experience they won't fold, ever. Any hand that folds has undercards to your queens. If you know they are not going to fold then you just need to jam it up, so your concern is how to get as many bets into the pot as possible. If I think people would fold for 2 on the turn I will definitely go that route, but in my experience they won't.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I just raise the flop and raise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

This only works if your opponent BETS the turn after you raise the flop. In my games, people often check to the flop raiser, so it doesn't work as well.