Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 12:03 AM

Default How many times before you fight back against a constant raiser?

Say a medium-large stack at your table raises preflop (3xBB), three times in a row. Do you ever push back with a hand like KJo or QTs?

The reason I ask is because 3 different times in the last few days, I've gone on a raising spree (I had good cards every time, it was just coincidence, and I didn't let up), and after the 3 or 4th time, somebody popped me back and pushed with KJ or QT or something like that. I called every time with AK or AQ and sent them packing.

How many times on average does it take before somebody makes a stand? What percentage of the time do you think the initial raiser can beat the pusher's range?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: How many times before you fight back against a constant raiser?

I think you are asking the wrong question. You just have to ask if you can beat what he has. You can call with your QJs or KJ, but that's gambling quite a bit IMO unless you're in SB/BB, where it is cheaper.

Last tourney I played, I had big stack midway through, and picked up AQ, AKs, AJs in a row. Someone pushed when I bet with the AJs, and I called. He had KQs, and lost to his flush. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 12:35 AM

Not so much if its raises in a row, but a consistent pattern. I was in an SNG tonight on pokerstars and the big stack at the final table raised nearly every single hand. After a few hands ppl raised back, and after many hands of probably 75% or more raises most just ignored the raise and called hands they would probably usually call. Needless to say his big stack dwindled fast as he'd call down any all-in and lose most of the time. He ended up 5th after coming to the final table with 2.5x larger than the next stack.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Say a medium-large stack at your table raises preflop (3xBB), three times in a row. Do you ever push back with a hand like KJo or QTs?

The reason I ask is because 3 different times in the last few days, I've gone on a raising spree (I had good cards every time, it was just coincidence, and I didn't let up), and after the 3 or 4th time, somebody popped me back and pushed with KJ or QT or something like that. I called every time with AK or AQ and sent them packing.

How many times on average does it take before somebody makes a stand? What percentage of the time do you think the initial raiser can beat the pusher's range?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few players with a medium-large stack are going to try to steal 3 hands in a row, especially if the first two attempts worked. The 3rd time is going to be with good cards (and probably the 2nd time). I would be careful.

Now someone with a significant chip advantage near the bubble is going to raise almost every hand and this is a totally different situation.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:56 AM

I've noticed that it's usually the third time that gets called/raised etc. It seems a pretty consistent trend. As to what the opponent is raising, you really don't have any idea, I think (LP) positional raises are a better indicator that he might be blind stealing, if you are looking to resteal.

I have bluff pushed a couple of times before, and then picked up a big hand, and almost always get called. So I pretty much never raise three times in a row, without a monster hand the third time or very weaktight opponents.